PID 231 FMI 2
09-01-2021, (Subject: PID 231 FMI 2 ) 
PID 231 FMI 2
The code is referring to the Eaton Vorad system. With this code it will not let me do a parked regen. I need to do the regen do to the actuator having failed. I replace the actuator and now it is giving me a check engine light for the regen.
Can anybody guide me in the right direction.
Thanks to all for any help!
replyreply
RE: PID 231 FMI 2
Never seen the vorad system keep 1 from regening,
If your talking about the turbo actuator now it will and has to be calibrated during install
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Get the engine hooked up to cummins Insite software and take some screen-shots of the faults active and inactive and post them here.. that would get you much further along.

also like was mentioned.. if the turbo actuator was replaced... it has to be calibrated and installed correctly....

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-02-2021, (Subject: PID 231 FMI 2 ) 
That code comes back as a can bus communication erratic, intermittent or incorrect. If the can is isn't reading right you'll never get it to Regen.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-10-2021, (Subject: PID 231 FMI 2 ) 
If one of those systems that are attached to the can bus system, it will absolutely cause it not to complete a regen. The can bus system is what it uses to communicate with many of the components that are controlled by the engine ECM. If this data is erratic, it doesn't know what's going on with the emissions components and won't allow it to function properly. Here are the main steps to figure out what is going on inside your can bus system.
1. Triangle connector on top of the intake manifold, unplug it and check resistance there. Should be 60 ohms or real close to that. If it's 120 ohms, you have a terminating resistor that has failed or a wire cut. One resistor is inside the turbo actuator and the other is inside the harness for the emissions system which is supplied by the OEM. This means that is may not be triangle in shape.
2. If you find that you have 120 ohms, unplug the 14 pin connector below the ecm and see if you still have a 120 ohm reading. If so, your issue is in the emissions portion. If the reading goes away, it's in the actuator.
Based on your statement here, I believe this is where you are going to find your problem but do the previous steps first.
1. At the first triangle plug, install meter and place on volts DC. With the key on, your should no less than 1v dc and no more than 4.5v dc if I remember right. Should come in more around 2.5v dc. A high or low reading will indicate that you have a shorted out (either to ground or power) component inside the J1939 and will need to be addressed. To figure out where the problem lies, start unplugging each component in the J1939 and see when the voltage comes into range. The one that does so will be the culprit and I'd guess it'll be the Vorad system will be the problem.
Double check my voltages in quickserve to make sure that I'm close before chasing a ghost please, too much beer and no esn in your post for me to do that.

Edit:
If the Vorad system is on the public address, these tests may need to be run through the 9 pin connector in the dash. Everything posted above is testing the private address that the engine and emissions system uses. All voltages should be the same for the public address.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.