A/C idler pulley play
09-02-2021, (Subject: A/C idler pulley play ) 
A/C idler pulley play
Is the a/c idler pulley supposed to have a little give to it? The old one (original) had some, too. But not quite as much.

https://youtube.com/shorts/eh08IjkcDe4?feature=share
replyreply
RE: A/C idler pulley play
(09-02-2021 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Is the a/c idler pulley supposed to have a little give to it? The old one (original) had some, too. But not quite as much.

Just couple hours ago did my belts. My old 910,000 miles has no play at all.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
(09-02-2021 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Is the a/c idler pulley supposed to have a little give to it? The old one (original) had some, too. But not quite as much.

Just couple hours ago did my belts. My old 910,000 miles has no play at all.

That’s weird. Old one had 1.2 million. Once it has pressure on it, it seems ok.
replyreply
makes a person wonder if that play is in the bearing itself ... or play in how its mounted. If it is play in the mount and not the bearing, then it is likely going to fail at some point... and if it is in the bearing,.. then that must be one crappy quality bearing.

Mine has no play in it .. It is an original OEM idler from the engine maker, and it has a grease-less sealed bearing. I have seen some aftermarket idlers with a lot of play in them due to cheaper bearings.. but have not seen an issue with them per say though either, as long as they are sealed properly and the grease does not run out.

just some observations.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

(09-02-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  makes a person wonder if that play is in the bearing itself ... or play in how its mounted. If it is play in the mount and not the bearing, then it is likely going to fail at some point... and if it is in the bearing,.. then that must be one crappy quality bearing.

Mine has no play in it .. It is an original OEM idler from the engine maker, and it has a grease-less sealed bearing. I have seen some aftermarket idlers with a lot of play in them due to cheaper bearings.. but have not seen an issue with them per say though either, as long as they are sealed properly and the grease does not run out.

just some observations.

Same exact bearing. I measured it with calipers, also. The sleeve that goes in from the back only reaches about half way through the bearing or so. The pulley itself is from Gates. Made in Canada.
I better check it again.

It was put together in this order. The dust cover acts as a spacer. I wonder if it was put together wrong. I can’t find a diagram on Quickserve.
replyreply
that NTN bearing should be of decent quality... should not have very much play in it. Check your mounting to ensure there is no play in the mount itself any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Big Grin RE: A/C idler pulley play
(09-02-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  that NTN bearing should not have very much play in it.

It doesn’t have support all the way through. The sleeve only goes so far, which is weird.
I put the old one back on for now.    
replyreply
the inner bearing race should be held tightly when the retaining bolt is at its proper torque setting.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.