Turbo surge cold idle
09-06-2021, (Subject: Turbo surge cold idle ) 
Turbo surge cold idle
I recently purchased a truck that was already de mandated When first started it will turbo surge excessively enough to shake whole truck for a few mins then it seems to kick out of that mode and does fine there after. It does this pretty much anytime it is shutoff a few mins and restarted. Also it has no 3rd stage of Jake at all. I can flip switch from 2 to 3 and makes zero difference. Pretty sure it’s all in the tune or could possibly be the turbo or actuator sticking but has no codes or cel. Other wise runs ok. Fuel mileage seems to run 5.5 to 6mpg but live in area with a lot of hard pulling in mountains and run heavy. Is it normal on these 2250 to lose the exhaust brake if Jake with a demandate or is this a sign of crap tune as well? I’ve been in trucking several years but mostly cats older Cummins Detroit’s etc. this is my first isx The engine is a cm2250 isx 450st cpl 3719 Thanks
replyreply
RE: Turbo surge cold idle
should still have 3rd stage engine brake with a proper tune unless some hackjob removed the VGT Turbo.

at idle with a proper tune the turbo should go to a set position and stay there till the gogo pedal is pushed then it should follow its turbo map.

most likely bad tune

Steps to see

1. Get laptop with insite 7.6.2 or newer/C@l-term 3.14 or newer and an inline 5 or 6 to plug into truck
2. get with someone near you that has the correct programs to inspect the truck while you wait for yours if you dont have it.
3. all programs and information are readily available for free or some cost accross the interwebs depending where you look.

Programs/adapters needed
Inline 5 or 6 Adapter - can be found on ebay 200-300$
Insite 7.6.2 or newer - Can be found on the net for free to 100$
C@l-Term 3.14-3.17 - Can be found on the net for free to 100$

possibly someone with more information will steer you in the right direction. as software trading is not found on this site.

Things to check if you have access to insite
go into the data monitor and see if the jake when set to third stage says 33/66/100% in the monitor if it only says 66% that is only stage 2 and it might be an issue with the switch or programming. and the same if it says 100%.

another possibility as the engine brake takes the turbo to 70% or higher is that the turbo could be stuck below a certain closed %. i had this problem on my truck the turbo got stuck in the 0-35% range and couldnt close any further as something had happened to the vg ring above those %s. the truck could drive fine but the engine brake was severily gimped.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Justinotruckin , Rawze
I appreciate the information. A friend of mine checked switch position awhile back and it did change on screen when moved from positions 1 2 3 It showed to be on 100 percent. That is all he looked into. I will check into it further I appreciate it.
replyreply
You can bet on having a bad tune in that thing. I wouldn't use it until you get it straightened out.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
copy the program out of the ECM and e-mail it to me for a review / inspection. Our trucking industry is plagued with bad dlete programming... more than 95% of all program reviewed are bad enough to cause the engine to run in the wrong operating modes, fight itself internally, and the engine will destroy itself in a couple years after that type of programming is done... all while the truck owner usually swears it "seems to run fine".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Justinotruckin
Can I copy this thru Insite or does it need to be calterm Sorry new to this thanks
replyreply
(09-06-2021 )Justinotruckin Wrote:  Can I copy this thru Insite or does it need to be calterm Sorry new to this thanks

you need the CT software to copy the file out.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.