Cm2350 overhaul questions
09-07-2021, (Subject: Cm2350 overhaul questions ) 
Cm2350 overhaul questions
I'm getting parts together and Cummins told me that for my CPL they only offer the classic overhaul kit in 150mm or 152mm liners. I thought replacing the head was standard during overhaul but "Cummins said if it is still flat and seals to reuse it".

I am going to end up doing it in my driveway soon because I don't want catastrophic failure while on the road or more damage to occur. If reusing the head gets me another 600k that will be fine with me and I'll do an out of frame restoration at that point and repaint it but I figured I'd ask your guy's take on this.
replyreply
RE: Cm2350 overhaul questions
simple answer is it's best to replace the head with new during an overhaul. Reman only if you absolutely can't get new. Never aftermarket. Of course, right now supply could be the biggest issue, but if you're buying parts ahead of time then you might want to just wait for new. As for the actual kit, wait until you pull the old one out and verify the exact parts that are inside that engine. And as you replace parts, especially bearings, triple check that the new part numbers match the old ones.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(09-07-2021 )JimT Wrote:  right now supply could be the biggest issue, but if you're buying parts ahead of time

I'm doing like a/two week(s) ahead of time. I called to see what the wait time on heads are and they do not even have an estimate currently.
replyreply
Anybody that has overhauled in there driveway what have you done about the cutter that sets liner heights?
replyreply
I believe there is a guy in the Harrisburg area that can cut them in your driveway, chamberpains would have to confirm, maybe someone in your area can also do the same?
replyreply
I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding somebody is willing to do mobile(I have been at it only one day) and I was thinking of just buying the tool. It might be my first overhaul but it won't be my last lol
replyreply
(09-07-2021 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding somebody is willing to do mobile(I have been at it only one day) and I was thinking of just buying the tool. It might be my first overhaul but it won't be my last lol

https://www.apexinds.com/tools/M50145.html

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Smiling lemon
09-08-2021, (Subject: Cm2350 overhaul questions ) 
Call around to machine shops in your area and ask them if there are any journeyman machinist that cut or are willing to cut cummins ISX to your spec. Some usually knows some that does it. Dealerships also use the same services. It's worth calling them or stopping in and talking to the service department about who they use or if they have someone in house willing to come to you.

That tool is expensive!!
replyreply
09-08-2021, (Subject: Cm2350 overhaul questions ) 
That tool is double the ones I was looking at. I found somebody who "might"be able to help. Everybody is backed up a couple months.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.