Oil leak
09-09-2021, (Subject: Oil leak ) 
Oil leak
I have a 2011 ISX. Over the last week I’ve gotten some engine codes (the yellow triangle)

Crank case pressure and VGT. The day I got the VGT code I lost all boost for a few seconds and periodically the engine wouldn’t do anything when I hit the gas. I tapped the actuator with a hammer a few times and after a 12 mile trek through stop lights I got on the freeway and didn’t have a problem.

Under the actuator housing is a hose/tube that appears to be sweating oil. There is a light stain of oil on the frame under it though. I changed the crank case filter and yesterday didn’t have any issues out of any of it. I have a picture.

Question: could the bad crank case filter have caused the VGT issue through over pressure thus forcing some oil out the seal of that tube? If not… what are your thoughts.

All sensors in the after treatment system have been replaced as has the components (cooler, egr, doser, dpf and doc.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Oil leak
you need to see if the engine has excessive blo-by.

That turbo also looks like it has been significantly over-heated at one point or more.

---------

the pic shows the drain line for the turbo leaking. There should be no oil pressure there, as it is a large drain back into the crank case. - it points to a gasket failure at the drain line where it meets the turbo. This is typically caused by excessive engine blo-by.

How often are you changing the crank case filter?.. when was the last time you changed it?.. and does it have the maintenance free filter installed? .. or the over-priced paper-type that only lasts a couple months at a time?.

Also, excessive crank case poressures that your posts points to also will destroy the overhead cams in the top-end too, causing them to flake out, because it will starve them of oil. .. when is the last time someone pulled the valve cover off it and did an overhead valve adjustment.. and inspected the cams?

--------------

everything you point towards so far heavily suggests that this engine has suffered severe neglect of its proper maintenance ... or that it is well past its expected end of life. More info is needed.

What make/model truck and engine ./.. how many miles.. etc.etc.etc. and the things mentioned above... some history etc... and is it "deleted" or not "deleted" and all emissions systems are still functioning.. and when was the last time someone did an EGR tune-up and all the other required regular maintenance besides just changing the oil.. and how often is the oil changed?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tonysnf
I got it in April. It’s a 2011 ISX. It had the No Service filter in it and I went to the filtered one. Had about 18,000 miles on it before I changed it Tuesday.

In Late May early June (18,000 miles ago) I put a new EGR valve, the two sensors, EGR Cooler, Doser injector, DOC, Pressure Differential sensor and new DPF into the truck. I also cleaned the soot from the air intake piping.

I bought the truck at 908k only history I know 100% is it had an in frame, clutch and remaned tranny at 790k.

The truck pulled air cans for around 400k miles. That’s heavy work. Always grossed when loaded.

I’m planning on adjusting the valves and inspecting next weekend.
replyreply
2011 Prostar with an ISX. Rest of info is in my other reply.
replyreply
(09-09-2021 )tonysnf Wrote:  ...
It had the No Service filter in it and I went to the filtered one.

well that was obviously a mistake.. Why would you put the paper filter back in it.. that is a no-brainier.. the main;t free filter is also designed for handling higher mileage, higher blo-by engine as well... put the maint. free filter back in it and leave it alone.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...50#pid8950

ANY buildup whatsoever inside that engine crank case is very bad for them by large amounts... flaked out cams, efficiency problems, emissions issues are amplified, and can cause lots of turbo problems.

Are you saying it was inframed at 790k?.. if so, I would not have given you 2 cents for the truck unless I knew EXACTLY who did it and what they set the liner heights to, and that it was done 100% right (very rare) ... most inframes any more are done horribly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.