Isx15 single cam cm2350 front gear issue
09-10-2021, (Subject: Isx15 single cam cm2350 front gear issue ) 
Isx15 single cam cm2350 front gear issue
I am a IC with a 2015 international prostar. Isx15 cm2350 single

I have my truck in the shop now because the gears in the front are making a knocking noise around the compressor area. Pulled compressor and the teeth have some bad spots, pulled the oil filler tube and I can see the scissor gear which has bad spots. Going to replace the inner housing due to crack right above the bolt that the compressor attaches to. Motor sounds fine all but that knock while the air compressor is loading up. Question is will I have to replace all the gears in the frontĀ  gear train? Not sure what else rides on that scissor gear.

./uploads/202109/post_5692_1631278459_e5826a4aaf5aea2372e811fb2a342c63.jpg./uploads/202109/post_5692_1631278750_67d207c70016ca9449804b2a64076104.jpg
replyreply
RE: Isx15 single cam cm2350 front gear issue
You need to start by pulling the fuel pump apart and see if its guts are flaky, pitted, etc. That looks just like damage that happens when the fuel pump starts going bad and destroys the entire engine.

How many miles on truck/engine, some history.. etc.etc.

with damage like that in the gear train, you had best bet you need to be pulling rod/main bearings and other components and inspecting them too. your likely going to find that the oil pump is no good, the oil cooler is no good (due to trapping metal shavings), and all sorts of other problems.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I had the fuel pump go out last year had short block from cummins installed, head was sent off to machine shop, new cam and new fuel pump. All those things you mentioned are being checked. Iam having the gear housing replaced so all the gears have to come off anyway. Might as well replace the all. Engine sounds good but going to have everything flushed and hopefully I'm not going to lose the engine again. Thanks for the reply. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
replyreply
(09-10-2021 )Slstransport917 Wrote:  had short block from cummins installed

So they just re used the old fucked up parts?? I would have less than zero faith in that engine. Here's what you can expect from a short block.

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1388

Pull it down completely and set the liner heights correctly, replace the head with a brand new one right from Cummins( your "rebuilt" head is a paper weight) and re do the bottom end while your at it.

I can see a lot of engine problems in your future if you don't get ahead of it right now. If you can't do the work yourself then tow it to Haggs down in Georgia. Otherwise your pissing in the wind.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(09-10-2021 )Slstransport917 Wrote:  I had the fuel pump go out last year had short block from cummins installed, head was sent off to machine shop, new cam and new fuel pump. All those things you mentioned are being checked. Iam having the gear housing replaced so all the gears have to come off anyway. Might as well replace the all. Engine sounds good but going to have everything flushed and hopefully I'm not going to lose the engine again. Thanks for the reply. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Short block from cummins means they most likely re-used a whole lot of parts. Things like the oil cooler, turbo, air compressor, injectors, most of the now damaged fuel system components and all sorts of other things.... That is most likely how it got contaminated a second time.. What a sh$it-Show of a half-arssed fix!. If it was bad enough that it needed an entire short-block.. the rest of it SHOULD HAVE ALSO GONE TO THE JUNK YARD!.

DO what I said.. AND inspect that fuel pump again.. AND to add to this ... Pull Those rod/main bearings, and all the other stuff for a proper inspection of metals debris damage. it sounds so far like your re-living your first night-mere all over again due to incompetence.

And like has been mentioned.. re-using the old head.. THAT WAS A NO-NO!. Those heads are throw-away item, and every single time someone re-uses one and has it re-worked... it does not last more than about 2 years and has to come off the engine again at the cost of $10k+ and you just WASTED EVERY DAMN PENNY you (or your idiot repair shop) tried to save by being cheapskate about it.

At least now we know why it looks like it does... everything so far points directly at POOR WORKMANSHIP BY THE IDIOTS WHO MADE THIS COMPLETE MESS!.

-- What a shame.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Well that just makes me sick to my stomach. The short block came with new oil pump and new oil cooler supposed to be new stile that prevents this. I also had new turbo new water pump and so on. They only things that were reused was the head and the air compressor. I even had a new exhaust manifold. I have put 170k on the new motor and get oil changed every 18k. Everyone send me prayers that I don't have to replace engine again. If I do I will go with a long block.
replyreply
Hopefully I caught it before to much damage was done. Truck still runs great and get good mpg 7.5 so Hopefully I'll be ok.
replyreply
Fuel pump damaged?
May have been improper setup when they installed the gears,
These engine are real funny about there gear lash
replyreply
just my opinion...
personally, I would try to find a way to get it over to Mr. Hags, south of Atlanta .. at least he will tell you exactly what your facing good, bad, and ugly if need be. He deals with a whole lot of engines where these problems, and failed fuel pumps have been found. He has special flushing equipment and methods, and has a whole lot of experience in saving them if there is any way possible.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.