Oil leak on backside of motor
09-18-2021, (Subject: Oil leak on backside of motor ) 
RE: Oil leak on backside of motor
(09-17-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Damn Rawze good thing you ain’t a truck enforcement officer lol.You don’t miss a thing.

Actually, our (trucking) world would be a much better place if DOT were more like Rawze. Get the dangerous junk off the highway, AND educate guys to potential issues on their trucks without making it about taking money from them.

I know.Just wanted to point out that he had a good eye.

I guess its just my OCD kicking in .. stuff like that just tends to jump out at me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , PuroCumminsPower
The dipstick and fuel actuator wiring are not secure because someone has removed the bracket from the IFSM. Some people do this to improve access to the fuel filter.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(09-18-2021 )Signature620 Wrote:  ...
Some people do this to improve access to the fuel filter.

I did this to my own truck... I have a prostar and the dipstick and other things were really in the way of changing the fuel filters out, so I solved this on mine. -- but "i did not have to leave it in that state"... I made a new mounting brace for the dip-stick and I did not have to make the wiring (which is legally considered "exposed" by the D.O.T. ) due to the split-loom missing from it, rub the outside of any brackets like that.

They are all problems that I would have solved one way or another if I owned that truck. There is no excuse for poor workmanship... especially if someone was being paid $1=25+ / hour to do an engine swap, etc... and work on your equipment. I would have thrown a fit if someone worked on my truck and left it like that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-20-2021, (Subject: Oil leak on backside of motor ) 
The bolt on the left was loose enough to turn by hand.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202109/post_3735_1632185091_77786e874aa146ceaa4550f077ee5df8.png
replyreply
09-21-2021, (Subject: Oil leak on backside of motor ) 
You may get lucky and it seals up or at very least slows the leak down. But the thin rubber on the metal gasket my also be brittle at this point from exposure to heat and movement from that bolt being loose. What I would absolutely be terrified of is that the other bolts behind the flywheel have shaken loose too. It would be best to find a very logical explanation of how that bolt got loose. Is the other 1 loose too? Was there brackets on them that someone may have taken off at some point and they never retightened the bolt? Look for scarring in the paint to maybe justify this explanation. If not, I would seriously be worried if all those other flywheel housing bolts are loose too. you run the risk of completely loosing all your oil in the engine very rapidly and very randomly if the gasket and the rear main seal fail do to movement of the rear structure.

Maybe the ISX gods will speak up and say my concern is invalid because those bolts do happen to shake loose every now and again but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
replyreply
Those are NOT fun by any means, Ive got 1 thats split on the right side on a truck but we have to get another 1 up before I can tear into it.
But either way 2-3days of work and clean up and how stubbern the engine mounts want to be
replyreply
(09-21-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You may get lucky and it seals up or at very least slows the leak down. But the thin rubber on the metal gasket my also be brittle at this point from exposure to heat and movement from that bolt being loose. What I would absolutely be terrified of is that the other bolts behind the flywheel have shaken loose too. It would be best to find a very logical explanation of how that bolt got loose. Is the other 1 loose too? Was there brackets on them that someone may have taken off at some point and they never retightened the bolt? Look for scarring in the paint to maybe justify this explanation. If not, I would seriously be worried if all those other flywheel housing bolts are loose too. you run the risk of completely loosing all your oil in the engine very rapidly and very randomly if the gasket and the rear main seal fail do to movement of the rear structure.

Maybe the ISX gods will speak up and say my concern is invalid because those bolts do happen to shake loose every now and again but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I’m going to check them and see if they are loose just to know.And then I’m going to hit each one with the impact.
replyreply
09-22-2021, (Subject: Oil leak on backside of motor ) 
Impact? WTF!?!? That's an aluminum housing. It costs $2800 at the dealership. I just bought one. Are you sure you want to be that stupid and risk that? Plus the labor to replace it?

Quickserve.cummins.com has actual torque specs. It's a 2 step torque process.

My flywheel housing broke after I started to tighten the transmission to it. It was weak from a previous accident. So I got to do a flywheel housing gasket twice in 1 day. Trust me when I say you don't want to have to do this job twice because something got screwed up.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Rawze , Redland1 , LargeCar , PuroCumminsPower
09-22-2021, (Subject: Oil leak on backside of motor ) 
if it has to come apart...
(12-30-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  when it becomes time to do the flywheel housing gasket it is also time to do the...

clutch, input shaft, ipt. shaft bearing, rear motor mounts, rear main seal, had the flywheel turned, replaced the mid-shaft bearing, and all the u-joints.

(Just some FYI)...
Those rear housings / flywheel housing gaskets usually last about 800k+ or more miles (sometimes a million+) if the engine and truck is driven right ... however they tend to leak more often than normal if someone is hard on the truck, it is programmed with a lot of torque (1850+) and/or if someone is often dumping the clutch, lugging the engine, etc. -- You see one leaky on a truck that only has 500k miles or less, it is almost guaranteed that someone has been abusing it and/or driving the piss out of it / has bad driving habits.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid60905

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.