REman or rebuild
08-19-2016, (Subject: REman or rebuild ) 
REman or rebuild
I have been doin the math lately and it seems to me if your going to do just a overhaul pistons head liners with no turbo no injectors etc. do the overhaul on your engine. But if you want to change everything you can get a reman for 25'000 with your core. You get everything all you have to do is put your starter, a/c compressor, alternator and your flywheel. This is my opinion but if you do the math your not doing bad. The only downfall is you didn't do it and you can't account for someone else's work but it is no different when you buy a new or used truck if you think about it. Do the math ecm,injectors,turbo,block,crank,head,intake,balancer,overhaul kit,cams,rocker arms,all new sensors,new wiring harness.....
replyreply
RE: REman or rebuild
Tough call for sure !
But I'll choose you , Mr. Hagg and few others in the moment I need rebuild with no hesitation.
Rawze mentioned many times to all of us to try plan ahead and be prepared for .
Not an easy call ...
replyreply
It all depends on what you want.
replyreply
But at least with Mr. Hagg you KNOW what you are getting. No hoping the rebuilder wasn't in a hurry and forgot to check the liner protrusion. Didn't double check the torque on the head bolts or any of the other common items cummins shops are known to miss.
replyreply
One thing that I would hesitate is on is the head. Won't this be a reman and not a new part?
replyreply
08-22-2016, (Subject: REman or rebuild ) 
Yes it will probably be reman head. I only brought it up because it does make think. Just info for everyone to take into consideration when the time comes and it will come. I made a statement one day after i overhauled a engine. I said the moment you start a engine after you overhaul it spends the rest of it's life slowly destroying it's self whether we like it or not.
replyreply
(08-22-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  Yes it will probably be reman head. I only brought it up because it does make think. Just info for everyone to take into consideration when the time comes and it will come. I made a statement one day after i overhauled a engine. I said the moment you start a engine after you overhaul it spends the rest of it's life slowly destroying it's self whether we like it or not.

Yup, Reman, New, Overhauled,... It does not matter. An engine will only last as long as its weakest component. As well, the more torque and use you put one through, the shorter its lifespan will be.

* Keep boost levels low (below 20 psi)

* Keep the speed of the truck overall to a minimum as much as possible.

* Drive it gently as much as possible.

* Service it slightly more often than recommended.

* Relax and stop stressing about how other people drive, or the fact that they might all drive faster than you do because you do drive slower and want to take care of what you got.

* Keep after problems BEFORE they become bigger problems.

* Enjoy what you do most of all and don't try to save every dime possible when replacing something that can put you on the side of the road if it fails. Get the component that will result in best choice in quality instead.

* If you want to squeeze every last extra dime of expense out of your equipment and what you do, then SLOW THE HELL DOWN and stop letting the roads beat it up.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Some people i have met worry so much about there engine and truck that they stress them selves out. The bottom line is that i could put a new starter on because it's old and i think it's going to fail but there is nothing wrong with the one on the truck now. You my change the starter because it is 5 years old. But you put a new starter on to be safe and a month later it fails. The point is you can't totally stop things from happening. But at the same time don't neglect it either. This means keep your truck greased to help prevent U joints and steering components from failing. check the stuff under the truck not just the stuff you can see this will bite you in the ass if you don't. Keep all the fluids changed at the proper intervals. This is how you will find rear and trans failing. Jack it up sometimes check wheel bearings all you need is a cheap 10ton bottle jack. Wheels coming off can kill you and or someone else. I have went out on road service calls to chain up axles to bring the trailer or truck home. Three out of four times we never found the wheels and all. Plus the driver never seen them come off. The point is if someone would have checked these bearings it would have never happened. Some things we can prevent most we can't. The point of this is don't stress to much on certain things because you will forget the other 90% of things you should be thinking about also, stress will blind you. Please don't beleave everything on the web either. Question everthing this makes us who we are. There are only a few people i would listen everything they say and rawze is one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Drybulktanker
I agree with both of you. (Gearhead and rawze) I feel once you reach the point of major bottom end part replacement, like say a block or crank, your better off putting in a complete reman. I personally would go for a reman in the case of, say a cm2250 with a fuel pump failure that ruins the crank. At that point, soo much damage is done, I feel starting fresh is the best option. When the time comes for my 871 to be done, I hope the block, crank, and rods are still good, so I can build it the way i feel it should have been. One thing with the remans, is most of the issues plaguing these engines (liner issues, fuel pumps) have now been rectified
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.