Cm 2250 hard to start when it sits 157.18 code under heavy load
09-27-2021, (Subject: Cm 2250 hard to start when it sits 157.18 code under heavy load ) 
Cm 2250 hard to start when it sits 157.18 code under heavy load
I have a 2013 Freightliner ca125dc engine serial number 79609609 truck has 225,000 miles just bought it 2 weeks agao started fine on and off for the first week while driving home and installing wet kit. Put first load on it and Headed out soon as I took off loaded got a code under power taking off. 157.18 injector rail metering pressure. Noticed as I drove farther truck seemed to flatline about 1400-1500 rpm and if accelerator pedal was helped down it would pick up and take off then do it again. So I started checking the obvious and noticed no fuel in daveco filter so got the parts and rebuilt the filter also found air leak on suction side of low pressure fuel pump. Now the fuel is staying about an inch above the nut in the filter. So thought that would take care of problem. Let sit over night and went to start and it started and died all in the same second then wouldn’t start back up. Got it running and it starts rest of day. Let it sit next night and put my little cheap code reader on there next morning and looked at rail pressure 5500psi tried to start it and same thing tried to start and died pressure dropped to 800-900 psi and no start. It appears someone before me changed the pressure relief one and of rail as it is not painted.
replyreply
09-27-2021, (Subject: Cm 2250 hard to start when it sits 157.18 code under heavy load ) 
RE: Cm 2250 hard to start when it sits 157.18 code under heavy load
(09-27-2021 )davidjrawls Wrote:  I have a 2013 Freightliner ca125dc engine serial number 79609609 truck has 225,000 miles just bought it 2 weeks agao started fine on and off for the first week while driving home and installing wet kit. Put first load on it and Headed out soon as I took off loaded got a code under power taking off. 157.18 injector rail metering pressure. Noticed as I drove farther truck seemed to flatline about 1400-1500 rpm and if accelerator pedal was helped down it would pick up and take off then do it again. So I started checking the obvious and noticed no fuel in daveco filter so got the parts and rebuilt the filter also found air leak on suction side of low pressure fuel pump. Now the fuel is staying about an inch above the nut in the filter. So thought that would take care of problem. Let sit over night and went to start and it started and died all in the same second then wouldn’t start back up. Got it running and it starts rest of day. Let it sit next night and put my little cheap code reader on there next morning and looked at rail pressure 5500psi tried to start it and same thing tried to start and died pressure dropped to 800-900 psi and no start. It appears someone before me changed the pressure relief one and of rail as it is not painted.
Connectors to fuel injectors can leak, not a bad idea to take off fuel supply lines so you can access high pressure fuel connectors that mate to injectors and make sure they are
torqued according to cummins spec.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM
09-28-2021, (Subject: Cm 2250 hard to start when it sits 157.18 code under heavy load ) 
You say the engine only has 225k miles.. but if it has more than 8,000 hours of run time (on the fuel pump) on it then it is time to replace the guts in the fuel pump. Not knowing the truck, you need to pull the fuel pump apart and inspect it. Replace its guts while your in there. That way there is no question about it any more and it will be good for the next 8,000 hours (or 400k miles on a highway truck without PTO). It is the weak point in that model engine and if the fuel pump is going bad, then it will destroy the entire engine while only giving a low pressure code like you describe. ... It is nothing to play with.

Also, what needs to happen is that ypu need to do a rail leak-down test on it. See how much the fuel system is leaking internally. If it will not hold pressure in the rail properly, then it will over-work the pump, wearing it out faster, will cause efficiency losses, and if it is an injector, then it can damage a cylinder over time.
here is how to do an injector leak test...

If it fails the leak-down test, then replace the pressure relief valve ... again ... and if it still fails ... just like 'Running Rough' mentioned above, pull all the fuel lines to the injecotrs and re-torque all the injector feed-tubes .. and then dothe test again. If it fails after that then it is either the pump or leaky injector(s). There is a procedure on quickserv.com on how to isolate it by capping off up to 3 injectors at a time and doing the test again. You need to follow that procedure where you cap off injectors to find the one(s) that are bad.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-28-2021, (Subject: Cm 2250 hard to start when it sits 157.18 code under heavy load ) 
It has 8022 hours. Planning on tearing the pump down today. Will let you know what I find.
replyreply
Got pump apart it has the steel plungers. Front plunger and barrel bad. Also front roller and tappet are damaged and some scoring on cam and bore in pump. Would load pictures but don’t know how. Guess I’m on the hunt for a new pump now.
replyreply
Does the new pump half to be timed?
replyreply
(09-28-2021 )davidjrawls Wrote:  Does the new pump half to be timed?

You got bigger problems than that my friend. You need to get that thing towed down to Georgia to Haggs, hopefully the engine is still salvageable. You need a LOT more than just a new pump at this point.

All the metal fragments that are missing from inside your pump are now floating through your entire oil system, they take out the crank bearings, cam bearings, everything!!!

It has to be flushed out completely for you to have any hope at all of saving that motor.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(09-28-2021 )davidjrawls Wrote:  Does the new pump half to be timed?

If the new pump is not timed then it will be noisy.

---

Also because you have a failing pump... inspect the front gears in the engine gear train for damage. If there is any signs of metal contamination eating away at the gears at all then you are in for big problems .. like flushing the engine out with about 200 gallons of diesel-fuel mix and replacing the oil pump, the oil cooler, and a e3hole lot of other problems.

You also need, regardless, to drop the oil pan and inspect a rod and main bearing for any scoring.

An evaluation of how badly the engine is damaged need to be done at the very least.

And At the very least of it .. you need a new oil pump and a new oil cooler. That is where the shavings will first start to accumulate as the pump fails.

Your problems are much bigger then you think.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
(09-28-2021 )davidjrawls Wrote:  Got pump apart it has the steel plungers

It does not matter what type of plungers are in the pump... they ALL are prone to failure ... even the newest models on the X15's ... the pump needs rebuilt every 400k miles or 8,000 hours to prevent severe engine damage.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.