CPLs
09-29-2021, (Subject: CPLs ) 
Thumbs Up CPLs
[/font]Is there any correlation between the CPL of an engine and the liner size (ie 150/152mm) and if so is there a way to look up the actual parts in the critical parts list so that we can order the parts before we pull the liners?
replyreply
09-29-2021, (Subject: CPLs ) 
RE: CPLs
(09-29-2021 )Poundtowne Wrote:  [/font]Is there any correlation between the CPL of an engine and the liner size (ie 150/152mm) and if so is there a way to look up the actual parts in the critical parts list so that we can order the parts before we pull the liners?

* There is no way to tell what liners are needed for a particular engine until you pull one out and measure it + see what color liner o-rings it has. The odds are 60/40 on them. 60% its the 150's, 40% its the 152's .. and it has nothing whatsoever to do with what tier engine it is. I have seen plenty of engines with 150 and 152 liners all the way from 400hp to 600 hp.. its a crap shoot.

* There also is no way to tell What size rod and main bearings an engine has until you pull every single one of them and check them all for the correct part#'s. About 80+% of the time, they are standard size .. BUT ... There are many engines running around out there with either under-sized or over-sized rod and/or main bearings in them. This bites many a mechanic in the arsse when they take out all the bearings for the crank and do not verify them as they come out ... then wonder why the engine spins a bearing after .. or cannot make proper oil pressure.. and sometimes even snap a crank, after an in-frame .. Cummins randomly will use an alternate size rod or main bearing in an engine without any warning.. and this can be even within the same engine.. one cylinder can have an alternate size set .. or sometimes the whole engine .. or maybe only 3 or 4 cylinders ... It is a complete crap-shoot and the only way to ensure you have everything right is to verify the part#s for each set as they come out one at a time.

* there is also no way to tell if you have what is known as "Crack rods" or machined 2-piece rods. Most older engines have the 2-piece machined (preferred) .. but a lot of newer engines have the cheaper cracked rods.. and many a mechanics hate them... I don't blame them. They are super easy to damage or not get mated 100% when messing with the cracked rods.

So ... there is no way to pre-order an inframe kit.. unless you willing to eat the cost of a set of alternate size liners if you ordered the wrong ones. There is not guarantee that a standard set of rod and main bearings is gong to be what belongs in the engine either.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Poundtowne , hookliftpete , MPDiagnostics , Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.