Boost at high idle with a whistle.
10-14-2021, (Subject: Boost at high idle with a whistle. ) 
Boost at high idle with a whistle.
First I am glad I found this site. I asked a question on another forum about an isx and was quickly told Rawze. I bought a 2016 t880 recently. I am a farmer and my trucks only work about six months of the year. It has a 1sx15 450hp. I bought it with fairings on it and have been ripping them off and turning it into what I need. I have started it a dozen times to build air without driving it. Yesterday I drove it a short distance no load like three miles 20mph no trailer. When I parked it the idle went from 700 to 760 and I can hear a whistle. Is this normal? I took it for a drive today, drove it at normal road speeds for 40 minutes at operating temperature. Went to park it and it idled up to 760 and increased the best again. Showing a few pounds, like three on the boost gauge. This is my first emissions truck. Did I break it already? Is something stuck or a sensor bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
replyreply
RE: Boost at high idle with a whistle.
(10-14-2021 )CircleH Wrote:  First I am glad I found this site. I asked a question on another forum about an isx and was quickly told Rawze. I bought a 2016 t880 recently. I am a farmer and my trucks only work about six months of the year. It has a 1sx15 450hp. I bought it with fairings on it and have been ripping them off and turning it into what I need. I have started it a dozen times to build air without driving it. Yesterday I drove it a short distance no load like three miles 20mph no trailer. When I parked it the idle went from 700 to 760 and I can hear a whistle. Is this normal? I took it for a drive today, drove it at normal road speeds for 40 minutes at operating temperature. Went to park it and it idled up to 760 and increased the best again. Showing a few pounds, like three on the boost gauge. This is my first emissions truck. Did I break it already? Is something stuck or a sensor bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It’s trying to do a regen, did you notice a high exhaust temp light on the dash when you stopped during the drive? It usually takes 45 minutes of driving or more to complete a regen so it may do the same thing next time you start it.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
Thanks for the reply it didn't do anything different than normal when I drove it and I stopped for ten minutes in the middle of the drive. It was still doing it when I stopped so I kicked it up to 1200. Never saw the high temp exhaust light. Should I do a forced regen on it?
replyreply
Its trying to regen, theres no need to kick the idle up on it to do it. If its idling up and building boost by itself then that's fine. Its trying to get the exhaust and DPF temps where it wants it to regen the DPF filter. When it does that, just let it run. About 45 min to an hour give or take depending on how much soot is in the DPF it should finish and idle itself back down to normal and open up the turbo and stop building boost.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CircleH
FIRST AND FOREMOST... Assume the engine and its egr systems have been severely neglected. This is a given. So... DO AN EGR TUNE-UP ON IT!!!. Also all the other maintenance like overhead valve adjustments, other inspections and truck maintenance for that mileage, etc.

get you an inline adapter off flea-bay for a few hundred bucks, a copy of Insite going on a cheap laptop, and look at the regen history.

Post some screen shots of the regen history for some advice and opinions.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Zapah , CircleH
10-15-2021, (Subject: Boost at high idle with a whistle. ) 
(10-14-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  FIRST AND FOREMOST... Assume the engine and its egr systems have been severely neglected. This is a given. So... DO AN EGR TUNE-UP ON IT!!!. Also all the other maintenance like overhead valve adjustments, other inspections and truck maintenance for that mileage, etc.

get you an inline adapter off flea-bay for a few hundred bucks, a copy of Insite going on a cheap laptop, and look at the regen history.

Post some screen shots of the regen history for some advice and opinions.

Thanks for the reply, I have insite, and have been studying the egr tuneup. I will get on it. I just took the front of our combine apart so it may take a week or two. I really appreciate your help and website.
replyreply
10-15-2021, (Subject: Boost at high idle with a whistle. ) 
Not sure what you want out of this truck but you seriously should consider {the alternative}. Based on your description of use for this truck even with an EGR tune up and Proper maintenance you’ll never drive the truck the way it needs to be driven to operate those systems as designed. ‘’Fairing’’ sounds like a highway Specd truck and those system regen while driving highway speeds for long periods. Unless all of my research and learning is wrong short trips and idling for short periods of time will lead to repeatedly interrupted regents and eventually clogged DPF and more. If you just bought that truck than like Rawze said because allot of people start having issues with the DPF and SCR and DOC and EGR Dozers And Sensors lol and the list goes on and when they see the price to replace adds up to 20k they sell the truck to the next poor fella trying to make a living it might not have even been a guy trying to screw you it could have been an honest guy trying to get by like you and me and because these shops and techs have no clue how to diagnose and maintenance these systems your pockets run dry and your will to fix the truck goes next.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.