Negatives to gear oil in motor oil?
10-19-2021, (Subject: Negatives to gear oil in motor oil? ) 
Negatives to gear oil in motor oil?
Are there any negatives to adding a gallon of gear oil to motor oil? I just did it for the first time and honestly have been thinking about if it was a good idea or not.Can it potentially cause any damage? Has anyone had any problems with it?
replyreply
10-20-2021, (Subject: Negatives to gear oil in motor oil? ) 
RE: Negatives to gear oil in motor oil?
This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen for awhile. Here's why.....

Why did you do it if you didn't understand what you were doing? What ever the answer is to that question It should bother you and you should never allow it to happen again.

And to answer your question, it's fine. But if your worried you should take some oil samples and see if it's doing any harm.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: the missing link
(10-20-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen for awhile. Here's why.....

Why did you do it if you didn't understand what you were doing? What ever the answer is to that question It should bother you and you should never allow it to happen again.

And to answer your question, it's fine. But if your worried you should take some oil samples and see if it's doing any harm.

The reason I did it was because I saw so many post’s advocating for it.
replyreply
Let's break this down...

(10-19-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Are there any negatives to adding a gallon of gear oil to motor oil?
Yes there is.
There are different types of gear oil, some have chemistry that may harm the soft metal components inside an engine, other's will not.

(10-19-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  I just did it for the first time and honestly have been thinking about if it was a good idea or not. Can it potentially cause any damage?
Yes it can. @Chamberpains is right, if you don't know or understand the cause and effect, then logically you shouldn't have done this, that's why your subconscious is screaming at you, it's concerned! Don't do sh*t like that on important components without understanding why you're doing something.
Follow-up questions;
What kind of gear oil did you put in? (The type, as in GL4, GL5, etc.)
If you don't know what kind. What brand?
What weight?
Do you know the part number?
We can't say one way or another if your choice was good or bad without this info.

(10-19-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Has anyone had any problems with it?
I can't speak for others, but I haven't and I've been adding a gallon of Sta-Lube 85W90 API/GL-4 (Part #: SL24239) in my engine during oil changes for years.
The only problem I had was that I could smell the aroma of hot gear oil, now I'm used to it and don't care.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Redland1
Welcome back Hammerhead!! You've been missed around here.
replyreply
(10-20-2021 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Let's break this down...

(10-19-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Are there any negatives to adding a gallon of gear oil to motor oil?
Yes there is.
There are different types of gear oil, some have chemistry that may harm the soft metal components inside an engine, other's will not.

(10-19-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  I just did it for the first time and honestly have been thinking about if it was a good idea or not. Can it potentially cause any damage?
Yes it can. @Chamberpains is right, if you don't know or understand the cause and effect, then logically you shouldn't have done this, that's why your subconscious is screaming at you, it's concerned! Don't do sh*t like that on important components without understanding why you're doing something.
Follow-up questions;
What kind of gear oil did you put in? (The type, as in GL4, GL5, etc.)
If you don't know what kind. What brand?
What weight?
Do you know the part number?
We can't say one way or another if your choice was good or bad without this info.

(10-19-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Has anyone had any problems with it?
I can't speak for others, but I haven't and I've been adding a gallon of Sta-Lube 85W90 API/GL-4 (Part #: SL24239) in my engine during oil changes for years.
The only problem I had was that I could smell the aroma of hot gear oil, now I'm used to it and don't care.

SuperTech 85w-140.I added 3/4 of a gallon. Engine is an 04’ cm870 with EGR.
replyreply
(10-20-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  ...
SuperTech 85w-140.I added 3/4 of a gallon. Engine is an 04’ cm870 with EGR.

Super-tech is just fine.

here is some words on the subject...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid16465

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.