In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys...
02-27-2016, (Subject: In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys... ) 
In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys...
My Truck is a 2008 ProStar with the Cummins CM871...

I was working up in Lansing MI the other day, making a delivery to General Motors... I went to my dock, jumped out of the truck and heard liquid hitting the ground! WTF! I turned around and there had to be two gallons of coolant pouring out from the driver side up in front of the steer tire... I shut down the truck and popped the hood... The Radiator had cracked. The big PLASTIC nipple that comes off the radiator that your hose attaches to sheered right off! The nipple was inside the hose, still held by the clamp and coolant was just pouring out... I could not fix this, as there was nothing there, cheap f'n plastic! I stuffed the hose with a rag and stopped the coolant. I called a local shop that I use, Star Truck Rental and Sales. They sent out a tow truck and got me in the shop.

OK, time to play price a radiator. International Stealer, $1200 for same plastic crap radiator that just failed on me, Star can get me the same radiator from same Stealer for $980... Myself, Call Detroit Radiator in Canton Michigan and get a price. Brand new ALL METAL replacement radiator, $645 + $100 Fed Ex overnight delivery to the shop I was at. No brainer, it was delivered that following morning and fit like a glove. It is working fine.

Here is where I purchased, and they carry more than just radiators for all makes and models of trucks. http://www.detroitradiatorcorp.com

These are manufactured here in the USA, at least mine was. I have also bought an AC Condenser from them for peanuts compared to what the International dealer wanted. Put their number in your phone. They have real live people here in Michigan answering and taking orders over the phone, and they all speak English. Great outfit, and from my experience, a great product.

Also, if you are in Michigan and need mechanical help, Star Truck Rental and Sales has shops throughout the state. They are good guys and will work on most any truck. Their shop rates are reasonable and their mechanics for the most part are competent. I would highly recommend these guys if you run into problems here in Michigan. http://startruckrentals.com
replyreply
RE: In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys...
Is that all metal radiator steel or alluminum?

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
(02-27-2016 )simon999 Wrote:  Is that all metal radiator steel or alluminum?

I think it is a mix, steel with aluminum core... Would have to call to double check.
replyreply
Be careful of after-market radiators, CAC units, and EGR coolers. they will usually cause other problems like thermal inefficiencies.

CAC units are known for being restrictive and causing lower that normal fuel mileage

EGR coolers are the worst. They can cause some serious problems, burned intake piping, cooked injectors, melted pistons, and a lot of other things.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
02-28-2016, (Subject: In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys... ) 
(02-27-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Be careful of after-market radiators, CAC units, and EGR coolers. they will usually cause opther problems like thermal ineffeciencies.

CAC units are known for being restrictive and causing lower that normal fuel mileage

EGR coolers are the worst. They can cause some serious problems, burned intake piping, cooked injectors, melted pistons, and a lot of other things.

I remember that write up you did on our Charge Air Coolers related to air volume and these manufacturers not having any real numbers. I should have mentioned that in my write up above, as Detroit Radiator, last time I checked could not answer those questions in regards to their CACs. If mine fails, it will be replaced with an OEM part. Same can be said regarding the write up you did on the EGR coolers. That is some valuable info, so much was lost on here.

As far as the radiator, I went with it for the specific reason that there is no plastic in the unit. The truck runs fine, temps are where they normally are, maybe just a tad cooler, but not by much, 2 - 4 degrees at most. Summer will be the real test. And, my failed radiator was the original with 850,000 miles on it.
replyreply
03-01-2016, (Subject: In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys... ) 
(02-28-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I remember that write up you did on our Charge Air Coolers related to air volume and these manufacturers not having any real numbers. I should have mentioned that in my write up above, as Detroit Radiator, last time I checked could not answer those questions in regards to their CACs. If mine fails, it will be replaced with an OEM part. Same can be said regarding the write up you did on the EGR coolers. That is some valuable info, so much was lost on here.

As far as the radiator, I went with it for the specific reason that there is no plastic in the unit. The truck runs fine, temps are where they normally are, maybe just a tad cooler, but not by much, 2 - 4 degrees at most. Summer will be the real test. And, my failed radiator was the original with 850,000 miles on it.

Let everyone know how it goes. I have heard a lot of bad from Duralite stuff, but not from Detroit rad yet.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-01-2016, (Subject: In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys... ) 
(03-01-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-28-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I remember that write up you did on our Charge Air Coolers related to air volume and these manufacturers not having any real numbers. I should have mentioned that in my write up above, as Detroit Radiator, last time I checked could not answer those questions in regards to their CACs. If mine fails, it will be replaced with an OEM part. Same can be said regarding the write up you did on the EGR coolers. That is some valuable info, so much was lost on here.

Let everyone know how it goes. I have heard a lot of bad from Duralite stuff, but not from Detroit rad yet.

I will keep everyone informed, so far, so good... ;-)
replyreply
03-29-2016, (Subject: In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys... ) 
What did your mechanic have to say about this new radiator of yours Waterloo?
replyreply
03-29-2016, (Subject: In need of a new Radiator? Try these guys... ) 
(03-29-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  What did your mechanic have to say about this new radiator of yours Waterloo?

We have not gotten it out of the brackets yet, it is still attached to the CAC... The guys that installed it left out the rubber bushings/isolators from the base of the radiator, it was metal to metal on the framework! From what I have seen, this is a total hack job of an install that ruined the radiator. I will report back when we get her unassembled and on a bench.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.