871 mess
10-24-2021, (Subject: 871 mess ) 
RE: 871 mess
(10-24-2021 )CANNONBALL Wrote:  Attached is what quick serve says off the ESN. Cam and bearings are always coated with way more lubriplate than needed when sliding in cams. Always take it gentle and don’t force it. If it doesn’t slide together something is wrong. This one slid in. Oil holes were all lined up. Double checked them all. Did it all myself so I know how it went in. No issues during assembly. Cam turned it by hand just like the valve camshaft. Always try to bar the motor after every part installs to Make sure there isn’t any drag or anymore resistance. Cheap insurance I guess. That’s how mad dad always built them just always stuck with me.

I cant place blame on anyone but myself for using the head knowing what issues it had in the past. I’m not mad about it. Customer has been a good one over the years. He understood the risk and I wasn’t warranting anything that wasn’t Cummins brand.

Then if it was done right .. then there should be a warranty on that head .... though I would ask for the money back instead of a replacement head... and get an OE (brand new) head and put on it. That would also be the customers problem not yours if they are the one that supplied it. they should also ask for the moneys to replace the cam and negotiable labour costs for replacing it too. - Then offer nicely, to SUE(via their lawyer) for those things + lost revenue and costs of any additional down-time if this is not made right.

I know I would. There are laws in this country that protect consumers from defective products.. this sounds like one of those that are cut and dry.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CANNONBALL
That was my exact thought process on it. Getting a head and cam maybe an issue at this point but I’ll cross that bridge Monday morning. I had a bad feeling about that head. Almost as bad as that pee see eye cam you talked me out of putting in it. I would be curious to know the duration on the Cummins cam vs the junk pee see eye on. Intake valves were 1/4-3/8s of an inch loose when I set the over head and the exhaust were almost 3 turns too tight. Coming off the outside cam going back on a factory cam.
replyreply
just throwing this out there, always make sure to blow out bolt holes
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CANNONBALL
Yes I always do and did on this one before we cut the block and after.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Running rough
10-25-2021, (Subject: 871 mess ) 
Interesting I have always set mine to 100 ft lbs then 90 degress... I just pulled quick serve and looked at the 570, 870 and 871 all say the same thing.. Maybe the revised it some time ago from 160 to 100....
replyreply
10-25-2021, (Subject: 871 mess ) 
(10-25-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Interesting I have always set mine to 100 ft lbs then 90 degress... I just pulled quick serve and looked at the 570, 870 and 871 all say the same thing.. Maybe the revised it some time ago from 160 to 100....

perhaps a change based on the flat plate vs. the older conical shaped plate?.

looks like they updated the 001-0088 procedures in july of 2021. Here is the actual procedure...
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...88-tr.html

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.