871 mess
10-24-2021, (Subject: 871 mess ) 
RE: 871 mess
(10-23-2021 )CANNONBALL Wrote:  ... I know I tightened it to quick serve spec. 100 ft lbs plus a flat and a 1/2. Back it off and repeat. 609 on the gear.

that is not to quick-serve / service manual specs... you need to correct how you do it.

============

AS FAR AS the spun bearing .. I have seen this a lot actually ... It could be blamed on aftermarket components... OR... the more common issue that I have seen.. is that a lot of shops who are not extremely careful with its install ... will accidentally bump that front bearing during cam install .. or bump the third (or fourth) bearing in ... while installing the cam and it.. it then spins later on and no one can figure out what went wrong. -- Not saying your shop did this, but since it has a spun bearing, you need to really be looking closely on how those cams are being installed by who did the work at your shop. All it takes is a mechanic to gently bump into that front bearing (or 4th bearing) while installing that heavy injector cam, and a spun bearing is going the be what the result is. - Not knowing any better, as a truck owner who's seen this mistake many times ... and not knowing anything about how it was installed, I would conclude that this is most likely what happened if someone were to ask me.

It could also be that the oil hole was not aligned and no one inspected the head properly before installing it .. and it ran dry, or there was a dry-start (due to not enough assembly lube on the bearing) condition and it spun that way.

I talk about these same cam install issues in this cam install video here on my rebuild series...

and I talk about inspecting the head and oil passages, etc.. here in this video...

not knowing the situation, no one can say for sure what happened.. only that all precautions must always be followed as to not set yourself up for such a situation... and to avoid using any after-maggot crap or re-worked crap.. because most of the time, a shop is going to be blamed (just like how I described above) and not the workmanship of some unknown quality head. this leave the shop with a bad taste in its mouth, a pi##$sed off customer, and everyone pays the orice for trying to take that shortcut of "used", "After-market", and other things that actually save no money but only lead to grief in the end.

--- NEVER EVER EVER EVER USE AN AFTER-MARKET OR RE-WORKED HEAD ON AN ISX ... IT IS A VERY BAD CHOICE AND SHOULD NEVER BE DONE.. AND IF YOUR CUSTOMER SAYS HE WANTS TO DO THIS.. REFUSE THEM AND RUN THEM OUT OF YOUR SHOP... PLAIN AND SIMPLE AS YOUR SHOPS NAME AND REPUTATION IS ULTIMATELY ON THE BAD END OF THE BLAME GAME IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CANNONBALL

Messages In This Thread
871 mess - CANNONBALL - 10-23-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Nostalgic - 10-23-2021,
RE: 871 mess - CANNONBALL - 10-23-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Nostalgic - 10-23-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Rawze - 10-24-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Nostalgic - 10-24-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Rawze - 10-24-2021
RE: 871 mess - tree98 - 10-24-2021,
RE: 871 mess - CANNONBALL - 10-24-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Rawze - 10-24-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Running rough - 10-24-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Mr Hagg - 10-25-2021,
RE: 871 mess - Rawze - 10-25-2021,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.