Exhaust question???
11-13-2021, (Subject: Exhaust question??? ) 
RE: Exhaust question???
I’m experimenting with this right now as I removed everything when I de mandated.
Originally I put a muffler on which I thought had to much restriction since it had a baffle in the centre . Without hesitation I cut the centre out and made it straight through before doing any testing. Now i have been doing some longer hauls and I need to get this thing quieter. It has that bark under throttle that I love around the farm but it is tiring on the highway. The muffler I think is amplifying the sound because I hacked the centre out and now it’s just a big tin can with no packing.

I went and bought the same muffler and installed with no hacking for 100$. I figured since I have my Pyro strapped to the manifold I would be able to see how much heat this muffler reflects back and compare it to my old readings.

The un-modified muffler surely took the edge off the noise level in the truck. And surprisingly I’m not seeing an increase in temp at the manifold under similar driving conditions although thinking about this the turbo is probably soaking up the extra heat and I won’t see it in the manifold until extreme pulls. There is definitely more back pressure because it’s severely impacted fuel mileage - 2 to 4 psi more boost to hold similar speeds .
Don’t have to tell me twice…muffler is coming off. Short story long, it needs to be straight through.

Next I’m going to put a piece of 5” pipe in place a try it, if that don’t get the noise level down enough. I will dismantle the old muffler and clean it out properly and pack the surrounding with fibreglass and try again.

Just thought I’d share my shenanigans

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Grizzly

Messages In This Thread
Exhaust question??? - Grizzly - 11-11-2021,
RE: Exhaust question??? - SemiSweet - 11-13-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.