General X15 information
11-19-2021, (Subject: General X15 information ) 
RE: General X15 information
(11-16-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  
(11-16-2021 )RollinCoal Wrote:  15w40 rotella for me .... I run that shi#t in everything lawnmowers and all

Really?? Lol
Yes sir, have for years
But I just dont jump on and go either I let my equipment warm up a bit
replyreply
(11-16-2021 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  When I started out as a company driver back in 2013 they had 2011 Daycab Freightliner Cascadias with 3.55 gearing Cummins ISX 450hp. The trucks were Ryder rental rent/lease or whatever and they did all the maintenance and so forth. The company (Menards) ran the holy hell out of the trucks between daytime drivers and nighttime drivers (1000 miles give or take in 24 hour period)

When it came to to do the already outrageous 30,000 mile service, Ryder just seemed to blatantly ignore it completely.... Basically telling the transportation office don't worry about it! So the oil changes on these trucks were never really done until they were into the 50,000 to 70,000. I am not kidding when it comes to the miles. They were even a few time s more than not that they were into the 80,000 to 90,000 mile range with one driver I remember saying that he was well over 100,000 miles on an oil change and was dumping a gallon of oil into it a day. Who fvcking needs an oil change right????

The company had nonstop problems with all the trucks by 400,000 500,000 miles give or take on them they had gotten rid of them and switched to CNG trucks. (which isn't any better LOL)

I remember when Ryder finally got around to doing the truck I was driving I would pull the dipstick when it got back from the shop and the oil was already blacker than sin in just short 5 mile drive. I only really remember it being done 2 or 3 times on the truck I drove.

I learned a lot about how the industry works when I was a company driver just based on half of the shi#t I said so when I became an owner operator I was gleaming with pride and knowledge! Then I came across this forum and was "woke!!!" My world became REAL small...

To the OP most of us on this forum change our oil at least 10,000 miles. I will post below again for you to hopefully see... again.

Quote: your average fuel mileage every 10,000 miles is ...

less than 5 MG -- Change your oil every 8,000 miles or so.

5 - 6 MPG -- Change your oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or so.

6 - 7 MPG -- Change your oil every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so.

7 - 8 MPG -- Change your oil every 15,000 - 18,000 miles or so.

8 - 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 18,000 - 22,000 miles or so.

above 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 22,000 - 28,000 miles or so

Im not sure how long ago that was but I can tell you Ryders computer systems keep up with miles and time when the last service was done and each shop is based on a percentage, there pm currency has to be above 96% other wise you (branch manager) has to be on a conference call daily to explain why its dropped and what your doing to correct the problem. Some have been fired over it
replyreply
(11-19-2021 )RollinCoal Wrote:  Im not sure how long ago that was but I can tell you Ryders computer systems keep up with miles and time when the last service was done and each shop is based on a percentage, there pm currency has to be above 96% other wise you (branch manager) has to be on a conference call daily to explain why its dropped and what your doing to correct the problem. Some have been fired over it

I can say that us drivers heard through the grapevine that the company lawyers went over to the Ryder shop and had a closed door meeting with them just before they sent them back to Ryder.

I do not know… there is always two different stories.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
11-20-2021, (Subject: General X15 information ) 
A big part of what drives these ever extending oil change intervals is the bean counters. As Rawze has mentioned almost every design characteristic of todays engines is driven by producing the cheapest engine that will meet the life span requirements of the FIRST buyer. Especially in OTR. 200 or so buyers account for about 80% of the new sales.

At that level everything goes under the cost per mile bean counter microscope. That includes oil drain intervals. Example. Eng A says change at 20K. Pretty soon Eng B shows up and says 30K for us. "Look at the money you'll save". Eng A comes back with 40K and so it goes. At that level nobody gives a shi#t what happens to the engine after 500K miles. Because now you guys own it as a used truck. I never sold at anywhere near that level but had to sit thru meeting where topics and strategies like this were covered in depth.

FWIW on intervals. I have been told over the years by some pretty sharp people that the "gold standard" for intervals is gallons of fuel used. Period. That accounts for idle, PTO etc. In the medium stuff I work with that spec is about 2,000 gallons give or take model years. Really severe application might drop it to 1,800. If I was doing it that way I would drop about 10% off that to make up for the above hype. Hardly anybody does it this way. But you guys, especially if using Rawze's book, will have your fuel usage.

Any system benefits from oil analysis. Catching EGR coolers before on road failure is where it helps us the most.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hookliftpete
11-22-2021, (Subject: General X15 information ) 
(11-19-2021 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  
(11-19-2021 )RollinCoal Wrote:  Im not sure how long ago that was but I can tell you Ryders computer systems keep up with miles and time when the last service was done and each shop is based on a percentage, there pm currency has to be above 96% other wise you (branch manager) has to be on a conference call daily to explain why its dropped and what your doing to correct the problem. Some have been fired over it

I can say that us drivers heard through the grapevine that the company lawyers went over to the Ryder shop and had a closed door meeting with them just before they sent them back to Ryder.

I do not know… there is always two different stories.

If thats the case I bet that service manager is no longer with the company lol
But I see a lot of trucks come threw here that have been just so called pm'd and not a damn thing been done. Its a shame
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.