870 nopower and smokes bad
11-16-2021, (Subject: 870 nopower and smokes bad ) 
870 nopower and smokes bad
Ok so I had a customer who had a create engine with only 60K miles on it. was having egr issues. So his mechanic told him he needed to just delete the egr. SO they did and had it tune.. The problem got worse. Now it smokes really bad and still has no power. So he called me I remoted in didnt see anything that really stood out. So I told the owner Id need to have truck here to look at it. It got here and first thing I wanted to do was make sure turbo working right. TO my surprise vgt was not working. So I removed actuator to make sure VGT arm would move on turbo. Worked good.. I started truck and push down to make sure it would spring back and it did. But I notice that the exhaust back pressure was not changing. Ok maybe bad sensor. So we removed the sensor and we always blow out the hole leading to sensor (cause Rawze found them to clog up alot). Well low and behold was a factory defect the hole was never drilled leading to back pressure sensor. This was a cummins reman. So if you ever have one smoking and low power and its not old and came from cummins need to check the simple stuff lol.. Once we drilled it and test drove it was like night and day customer all smiles.... Note this it the thermostat housing plate that the exhaust back pressure sensor screwed into that was never drilled...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , quickrigs , hookliftpete , SquareOne , Rawze , Nostalgic
RE: 870 nopower and smokes bad
Wow, can you imagine the stealership trying to figure that one out??

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: quickrigs , SquareOne , Nostalgic
(11-16-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Wow, can you imagine the stealership trying to figure that one out??
Could you imagine the customer's bill for their "troubleshooting"!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
makes me wonder how many t-stat housings got manufactured in the same run/batch with this same issue.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(11-16-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Wow, can you imagine the stealership trying to figure that one out??

(the beer is talkin' / speculation)...
they likely would never had figured that one out. they aren't trained to do anything outside of a fault code. They prolly would have told him not to drive it so hard and blamed it on customer.

Now just imagine all those idiots who remove that sensor and circuit + elbow pipe who do those bad-deletes... and use those after-crap manifolds.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-17-2021, (Subject: 870 nopower and smokes bad ) 
This truck went to a dealership first the warranty out the egr vavle. keep truck for 3 weeks. Then he took it to his personal mechanic which he said he didnt know . Then a 3rd guy who knows us called me on it and I remoted in and tbh I over looked it my self. I was looking for other stuff. Then I told him to bring it here so I can see it my self.. I spent about 2 1/2 hours on it before I found it my self. At that point I didnt care how long I had I was determined I was going to figure this out... I felt bad for the customer who spent over 40K on this engine and charged him for one hour and told him I learned something to day and it was worth it to me....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , tree98 , hookliftpete , trucklogger2 , Rawze , LRT1549

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.