Re-build fried engine?
11-17-2021, (Subject: Re-build fried engine? ) 
RE: Re-build fried engine?
(11-17-2021 )barf Wrote:  I have a CM2350 that died. No warning lights or beeper, and I wasn't thinking to check the gauges, but they had to be within range. Engine seized! Got it towed into shop, they dropped oil pan to see carnage.

This shop told me that I need a new engine (used and they will re-build it). I know it needs a new crankshaft so it has to be pulled out, but my question is: Can't a shop just re-build this engine, replacing all worn parts? Or, is it just cheaper to replace?

Unfortunately this truck has an auto-shi#t trans, so replacing with a CM871 is most likely out of the question?

Waterloo was right, I should have done everything in my power to re-build my CM871 when it died. This truck has been a financial nightmare. A really low mileage truck that shouldn't be having the problems it has.

Either find a used engine and have Haggai rebuild it, or go recon. You'll have a real mess trying to salvage that IMO.

This is coming from a guy that went against the grain a little here when I started, I've tried quite a few gambles to save $, and every single one just cemented in to listen to Rawze lol. That said, I looked close at my old 871 block that spun a main and rod and decided to scrap it. I'm in the beginning stages of building a new engine. Brand new block from Cummins and brand new crank from Cummins is the foundation. No machine shop work and reconditioned parts this time around.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf

Messages In This Thread
Re-build fried engine? - barf - 11-17-2021,
RE: Re-build fried engine? - Nostalgic - 11-17-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.