Re-build fried engine?
11-17-2021, (Subject: Re-build fried engine? ) 
Re-build fried engine?
I have a CM2350 that died. No warning lights or beeper, and I wasn't thinking to check the gauges, but they had to be within range. Engine seized! Got it towed into shop, they dropped oil pan to see carnage.

./uploads/202111/post_1783_1637175891_e13c8c93397f34d2528b48dfc9ed1f4d.jpeg./uploads/202111/post_1783_1637175919_ad70d24fe6abf8ec4fd845e290d68c98.jpeg./uploads/202111/post_1783_1637175944_6cc1d62462a4681461b8672f1785907f.jpeg./uploads/202111/post_1783_1637175989_89f8d2fd6a75d0fd9e83f69f1e65f664.jpeg

This shop told me that I need a new engine (used and they will re-build it). I know it needs a new crankshaft so it has to be pulled out, but my question is: Can't a shop just re-build this engine, replacing all worn parts? Or, is it just cheaper to replace?

Unfortunately this truck has an auto-shi#t trans, so replacing with a CM871 is most likely out of the question?

Waterloo was right, I should have done everything in my power to re-build my CM871 when it died. This truck has been a financial nightmare. A really low mileage truck that shouldn't be having the problems it has.
replyreply
RE: Re-build fried engine?
(11-17-2021 )barf Wrote:  I have a CM2350 that died. No warning lights or beeper, and I wasn't thinking to check the gauges, but they had to be within range. Engine seized! Got it towed into shop, they dropped oil pan to see carnage.

This shop told me that I need a new engine (used and they will re-build it). I know it needs a new crankshaft so it has to be pulled out, but my question is: Can't a shop just re-build this engine, replacing all worn parts? Or, is it just cheaper to replace?

Unfortunately this truck has an auto-shi#t trans, so replacing with a CM871 is most likely out of the question?

Waterloo was right, I should have done everything in my power to re-build my CM871 when it died. This truck has been a financial nightmare. A really low mileage truck that shouldn't be having the problems it has.

Either find a used engine and have Haggai rebuild it, or go recon. You'll have a real mess trying to salvage that IMO.

This is coming from a guy that went against the grain a little here when I started, I've tried quite a few gambles to save $, and every single one just cemented in to listen to Rawze lol. That said, I looked close at my old 871 block that spun a main and rod and decided to scrap it. I'm in the beginning stages of building a new engine. Brand new block from Cummins and brand new crank from Cummins is the foundation. No machine shop work and reconditioned parts this time around.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
What happened? You ran it out of oil? Fuel pump failure? Don't blame the engine, looks like neglect to me. You said you "didn't look at the gauges but they had to be within range"????? You're gonna get a good spankin for this one.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
It can be salvaged BUT weigh your options,
Price a overhaul kit plus a new crankshaft and labor vs recon vs used +rebuild
Id even check with Hagg see if he might already have 1 built or ready to build
Weigh all your options first, especially if you plan on keeping the equipment for a long period
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
Thanks for replies. The shop found a used low mileage engine that they're going to drop in without in-framing. They've inspected it and will install new seals as required. New clutch if required, etc.

Oil gets checked every morning before starting. Maybe the fuel pump blew up? but when I pulled over it was still running. Yes, I can partly blame myself. I've had to add oil to this engine regularly, possibly a gallon a week, and should have had it checked out. Yes, I deserve to have Rawze yell at me!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
My brother just ran into a similar situation with a low mileage 2250 he bought. turns out it was cheaper to buy a brand new crate 2250.. about $32K i think he said, versus all the refurb it would have taken to fix the old one.... Plus new turbo, new compressor, new fuel pump, ....etc, etc...

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
When that much metal goes thru one then she's likely done-for... inspect the gear train, fuel pump, etc.. to determine how extensive the damage really is... or it is isolated to the crank, which I seriously doubt.

This looks just like what happens when the fuel pump fails due to not having its guts replaced every 400k hours or 8300 hours.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-18-2021, (Subject: Re-build fried engine? ) 
There's some decent discussion (at least for me there was) when i had to undergo a rebuild here on a 2250: https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=6973

Some concerns from a recon engine:
- Have heard of 2 locally that needed some type of major work within 2 years (inframe, new head, spun bearing cant recall tbh).
- Others can comment, but to my knowledge with a recon:
- you are not sure if it's a new head or reman
- It's most likely a reman turbo, which have had some troubles if you look at the forum
- The liner height is set to within spec and not necessarily what it should be for a long lasting engine (14 thou, i think rawze is recommending 15 thou now, but confirm).

I will say this - when I did mine, the cost was basically the same as a reman, and sometimes I think whether I should've gone the other route. But if you can either do it yourself or keep a close eye to ensure it's done properly, I think there's more peace of mind knowing its done right. But keep in mind, if you have to replace:
- EGR cooler and valve (keep it mandated option)
- all 6 injectors
- Cam, rocker shafts, rockers, any wiring harness
- oil cooler, fuel pump,
- damper
- turbo

All of that stuff adds up pretty fast. And people who don't consider the above, or verify the items, regret it later on.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , barf
11-18-2021, (Subject: Re-build fried engine? ) 
(11-17-2021 )Nostalgic Wrote:  That said, I looked close at my old 871 block that spun a main and rod and decided to scrap it. I'm in the beginning stages of building a new engine. Brand new block from Cummins and brand new crank from Cummins is the foundation. No machine shop work and reconditioned parts this time around.

Did you spin a bearing on the engine you rebuilt? Did I miss this update?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.