Cm2350 combustion in cooling system
03-08-2022, (Subject: Cm2350 combustion in cooling system ) 
Cm2350 combustion in cooling system
Isx15 cm2350 dropped a liner at 350k miles got an inframe they did the counterbore and set liners to 14 thou. Then at 435k miles cracked the head. So replaced that. Liners were perfect. Now at 545k miles I have combustion in my cooling system again. Truck is demanded. Oil temp sits around 210 will climb to about 225 on a big hard pull. Boost peaks at about 31-32 psi. Post turbo pyro never gets over 950. Usually only 850 on a hard pull. What the heck is going on?? Possibly cracked head again? How likely is a dropped liner after being counterbored? I ordered the inline 6 adapter so I can email Rawze my file just waiting for it to show up. What else would cause repeated cracked head other then over boosting?
replyreply
RE: Cm2350 combustion in cooling system
bad de-mandate programming can cause every single bit of the problems you are having. On a heavy-haul truck .. especially an X15 or CM2350 .. one or two extra degrees of injection timing to much (which is already in there from the factory because its expecting EGR gas to compensate it), and your looking at the exact issues you have had. Of course this does not rule out bad workmanship or other factors by the place that rebuilt it.. most places are beyond incompetent these days as well.. so it could be a combination of things.

Until you get the programming reviewed, I would go no further... and this is exactly why I tell people that if they give a damn at all about their engine, then that programming takes the highest priority.

You did not mention either that the head was replaced (with a new one) the first time around. That would be a big mistake as well. We talk about building the engine the right ways on here .. which no one seems to care about doing at most shops.. but they will instead argue it away rather than of doing a better job. That is another problem all on its own.. here is a fine example of how things go terrible wrong!.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid41315

and here is what should have been done the first time right along with correcting any bad de-mandate programming to go along with this...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid67840

these engines can be quite reliable if programmed, built, and kept to reasonable power levels.. and the right gearing is used in the truck to keep from lugging it to an agonizing death. -- OR ... they can be your worst nightmare when the power is turned way up.. they are abuse by bad de-mandate programming.. lugged everywhere against high torque settings instead of using actual HP and better rpm to do the work.. and/or trucks that are geared too tall, leading to a very short engine life.

the choice is obvious in today economy where trucking freight rates are in the toilet.. fuel prices are on the rise again after being artificially lowered for several years.. and it just costs too damn much to replace expensive components too. - Slowing down... limiting how you drive it.. keep power levels in some reasonable range, re-gear the truck to haul the weights properly without having to over-work the engine.. doing all maintenance preventative (doing actual tune-ups, replacing sensors, etc regularly) and otherwise, beyond just simply changing the oil. These are the things that make actual sense and the highest profits. Ignoring all the morons out there who are h#$ll bent on big power and the yee-haw attitude. These are the things that make money that a person can keep and rely on. Otherwise, someone is just blowing smoke up their own arsse.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
RE: Cm2350 combustion in cooling system
yes the head was replaced with a new one. I told the mechanic that did it that I wanted an oem cummins head but i never saw any paperwork so for all I know it could he a cheap Chinese one. Has 391 gears with 24.5 tires so at highway speed (105 kmh) i sit at 1500 rpm. And I never let it pull hard under 1400. Preferably keep it above 1500 when pulling hard. Also forgot to mention that the coolant passage is routed correctly to the back of the block. But yea once I have the adapter I will send you my file.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.