Cummins ISX shutting down
11-22-2021, (Subject: Cummins ISX shutting down ) 
Cummins ISX shutting down
i have 2010 KW with CM871 that keeps shutting down and the only code it has is 1117. I have pulled the harness and checked all ground and power wires found no cuts or shorted out wires.
I am thinking it has a bad ECM, the bad part is it has DPF delete done to it I have pulled copy with calterm file. I just cant fig this truck out so i open to any pointers to fig this thing out.
replyreply
RE: Cummins ISX shutting down
Check fuse link in the battery box, the wires will break just inside the holder, check all the small wires in there also make sure they have a good connection, those are the ecm/module battery power
But check over that fuse link real well or replace it, Ive seen them do some funny stuff
replyreply
There is a 2ga wire running from the battery box with 150 amp fuse, going to the block above the engine then it goes to fuse block with two 15amp fuses.
replyreply
Is it shutting down randomly? try hitting the top of the ecm with a screwdriver handle and see if it kills or hiccups the motor. If so, There's an internal solder connection that comes undone and causes this exact issue.
replyreply
I let the engine run at low speed and at 1300 rpm
Taped on top of ecm didn't stumble or shut off.
Gone look at the main power and ground wires again might have missed something.
replyreply
(11-22-2021 )airdrop54 Wrote:  I let the engine run at low speed and at 1300 rpm
Taped on top of ecm didn't stumble or shut off.
Gone look at the main power and ground wires again might have missed something.

CM871 random death syndrome is very common on that model ECM as they get more than 8+ years old.. or if it is used.. or a non-certified reman. They get bad connections inside them to some components and flake out / engine dies randomly. Mostly caused by no one changing the crank shaft damper when it is due (at 500k miles max) ... and engine has excess vibration all the damn time. That or some other neglect (fuel system, injectors, poorly-reading sensors, etc.) where it suffers a lot of engine vibration.

Smack the top of the ecm hard enough to almost dent the casing while its idling. Tapping it with a screw-driver is not enough to check it. ... It takes a damned decent whack to the top top of it straight downwards onto the top edge (almost enough to dent the damn thing) to check one ... It is a REALLY COMMON ISSUE with the CM871 ecm's to get flaky just like you described in your first post. They randomly shut off with no codes except the sometimes the 1117 fault. Sometimes it will not do it till engine / ecm is warmed up good.

Here is a related post to follow thru some links on: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid65089

==========

NEXT> would be the ecm program.. if it is de-mandated.. make a copy of the program using the Ca%lterm software and e-mail me a copy of the program so that it can be properly reviewed.. Otherwise you could very well be driving a ticking time bomb of a program eating the guts out of the engine slowly over time.. more than 90%+ of all ecm "custom / delte" programming is beyond horribly destructive to these engines.. and it has nothing to do with "how it feels" or "how much power"... it is bad fuel-air mix, wrong engine modes, improper engine / turbo operations, improper injection timing, etc.. that severely shortens their life / causes turbo or head gasket failures, fretted liners, cracked head or pistons, etc... without you even feeling it until its far too late.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-23-2021, (Subject: Cummins ISX shutting down ) 
I was sent the ecm program. Here is what I see at a glance ...

WoW, that ecm shows a LOT OF run time on it!... The ECM is showing more than 1.9 million miles (39k+ hours) worth of of run time on this ecm!.

A bad ECM could very well be the culprit there.. replacing it at this point would not be a bad investment, even if it was not the cause of the random shutdowns.

next:

* The VIN# info needs to be corrected in the ecm. Only the last set of digits are set instead of the entire vin#. Smeone was being simply lazy on that one when they set it. The entire vin# needs to be in place so that it can be broadcast across the J1939 network properly. Sometimes ABS systems or other devices will complain about this.. depends on the truck.

Programming problems ...

WELCOME TO THE BAD DELETE CLUB!

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

* This program is the typical hack-n-slash garbage found on those auto-tuning websites, used by those so-called "professionals". It is beyond horrible .. all someone did when they made this program is that they unplugged s#it and blocked all the codes from showing up in the dash.. It is really bad!. From what it looks like .. someone left the entire program "as factory as possible".. they adjusted nothing whatsoever.. not the engine mode control logic, not the egr gas request logic, not the injection timing, .. nothing.. AND THIS IS EXTREMELY HARMFUL TO THE ENGINE ONCE THAT EGR GAS IS MISSING FROM THE INTAKE AND THOSE CANS ARE HOLLOWED OUT!

* They did however, jack with the turbo tables in a bad way. They are set far too aggressive, and will cause the turbo to over-boost the engine. This is extremely harmful and will cause it to crack a piston or drop liner. It will also over-spool the turbo + trap too much heat, and cause it to eventually tear itself up.

-- You should not be driving this truck with this program in it!. It is going to cause harm over time and severely shorten the engine life .. If it has not caused significant harm already!.

The software is also VERY VERY old, like 2014, 7+ years out of date kinda old .... and the ecm software desperately needs an update.

- You have a copy of the program. ... In your particular situation, you should likely bite the bullet and replace that ECM (if it is as old as it claims to be) to help solve your intermittent shut-down issues with A certified reman FROM the OEM truck stealers$it.

Have the stealers$it pre-flash the ecm with the program that goes into that exact ser# engine when you purchase it. Have them also pre-set all the truck settings according to your vin#. They can do this, so that all you have to do is hang the ecm onto the engine and its ready to go. - This Puts a clean 100% factory file in it. That way you can start over with it, as the program you currently have in that old ecm is no good. Also this is cheap insurance to ensure that the ecm is good when you go to hang it onto the side of the truck, as the dealer will have to hook it up, test and flash it themselves before handing it to you and will not be able to accuse you of causing it to be bad, if it is DOA out of the box (I have seen ppl go thru that before, it is not fun).

Here is a more detailed reference for straightening this mess of a program out...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid65973

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-08-2022, (Subject: Cummins ISX shutting down ) 
Want to give update on the truck and say thank you to Rawze for all his help. Replaced ECM
Program it kept getting 2312 and 2313 codes could not do cut test check everything that would cause the code found out the new ECM was also bad. Had it replaced under warranty refreshed everything and the truck is running strong now.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.