Driveshaft replacement cost
11-22-2021, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
Driveshaft replacement cost
What have you guys been charged for driveshaft replacement/rebuild on your trucks? I needed my intermediate shaft replaced on my semi from spline wear and I’m getting $1300 for a brand new balanced driveshaft with OEM Spicer yokes. I am just wondering if that’s an outrageous cost before I go and pick it up in the morning…

I tried to get an OEM new one from the manufacturer and was told a 1000$ and was told for special favor that I would be on a indefinite (emergency vehicle) list straight from the manufacturer….

Feel like I am getting passed around the block so any insight will be appreciated! There is not many driveline places here in the upper Midwest. (Twin Cities)

Thanks

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
11-22-2021, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
RE: Driveshaft replacement cost
(this is not an advertisement, it is simply that I have been in your shoes and got screwed around just like you describe a couple years back ) ...

Check with Chattanooga drive-line in Chattanooga, TN.. these people are straight up and sell / stock many of the OEM, ready to install drive-shafts that are pre-balanced right from the manufaturer. That is where I got mine after being "lolly-gagged" around just like you describe at 2 different drive-line shops in Atlanta here.

Here they are on google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/BR1pjizHKAyLabym6

Even if you don't use them, at least you will not be lied to.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873
11-23-2021, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
I had my driveline rebuilt local here. 3 day turnaround with new slip joints, yokes and high speed spin balanced. It was around $1800 for both main and intermediate shafts out the door but that was a couple years ago.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Volvo8873
11-25-2021, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
I paid about the same as Nilao for the entire Spicer drive line overhaul on 2 different trucks from a place in Hagerstown, MD. Meritor is the one that everyone of the drive line guys I talked to said can cost upwards of $10k to replace everything.
replyreply
11-26-2021, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
Mine was $1190 for just the front section (daycab Cascadia) built by a local shop. U-joints, slip yoke, and high speed balance.

- The rear section (b/t the drives) I replaced the U-joints only as the slip portion was in great shape. The front section didn't have the seal when I bought the truck, so the dirt/dust mixed with the grease did a number to the coating on the slip yoke splines.

(11-25-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  ..... Meritor is the one that everyone of the drive line guys I talked to said can cost upwards of $10k to replace everything.

^^--- Holy $hit that would be an unexpected expense cost...wow!
replyreply
12-01-2021, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
Ok, to update this thread the total cost after tax was $1338 for a MERITOR driveshaft.... They shop does have a very good reputation and I feel they did a good job with the driveshaft and communication. I needed to also "rebuild" my output shaft as everybody was 2 weeks out with a new one and needed to be patient with pressing in the new bearings along with shimming them within a very small tolerance. It was a good challenge for myself over thanksgiving break as I also finally slowed myself down quite a bit. It is always good to take a long break from trucking as it helps tremendously with refocusing on what you are doing and trying to achieve! Thank you to all who chimed in!

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , snailexpress
12-01-2021, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
^----- It's good to see a responsible animal who'll sleep off the buzz before getting back out on the trail ..lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , JimT
04-02-2023, (Subject: Driveshaft replacement cost ) 
Question, so thanks the horribly shitty winter and not doing my proper full pre trip for sometime I came across my seal on mid driveshaft (photo in above post) had popped off allowing whatever to get into it.

I took the drive shaft off to clean the inside of dirt, gunk, grime and with that being said I have everything cleaned up and ready to put back together and I am curious on how much grease that I need to put into the splined shaft tube? I figured enough to where the grease pushes out the splines when the two units are put back together with the seal not popped on?

FYI this is a Meritor permalube RPL style shaft. The service manual for Meritor does not explain anything on lubing this style.

These are not greaseable driveshafts.

Thanks for any suggestions.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.