2008 CM871 Smelly exhaust and surge
11-29-2021, (Subject: 2008 CM871 Smelly exhaust and surge ) 
RE: 2008 CM871 Smelly exhaust and surge
Yup, rotten eggs (sulphur) I've told many drivers that they have a battery cooking just by walking close to their trucks. I pull the battery cover cautiously and shoot them with the thermo gun to show them the temp differences.
replyreply
Interesting never knew this.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(11-29-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  speaking of "smells" ...

Had someone get a hold of me today... said their turbo "smelled like rotten eggs".. only around the turbo area. Heavy smell, and can smell it in the cab of the truck.

I told him that it was not even in the engine .. His batteries were bulged out and have gone bad!.

After he pulled the battery cover off.. sure enough.. they were fried!.

Wasn't someone... It was me, and it wasn't my truck is was a Werner in a rest area...

I've had batteries cook before but from my memory they were a lot stronger, and one of those smells like bleach that stays stuck in your nose and you can kind of taste... This smell wasn't nowhere near that strong and what really threw me was that I couldn't smell it at all right at the step where the batteries were, I could only smell it in the cab or by the turbo...

Poor guy is still sitting here to, no one has come to even look at it yet, heard him talking to his break down and they refused to acknowledge him everytime he told them his batteries were swollen...

So glad I don't have to deal with those kind of people...

Thanks Rawze

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
While were waiting for a smell description...

I've had a Timing actuator go bad before and the result was a slight hazing that really could only be seen under street lights. However there was always a strong unburnt (Raw) diesel small. When this was combined with oil from a leaking valve seat when the truck was cold it gave a kind of weird smell not to different from the old cats when they slobbered when running all night in the winter... For those that remember the classic smell of the old mechanical engines..

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply
Well I really can't describe it but it is a different smell of exhaust not rotten eggs not sweet like antifreeze. Seems like it makes this smell when it needs a regen. It's not doing either now the miss, studder or the smell. I don't know but thanks for all the fast input. That's what I like about this group of people. Throw out some thoughts and see what sticks.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.