Radar deathtrap
12-05-2021, (Subject: Radar deathtrap ) 
Brick Radar deathtrap
My 2019 T 680 has factory radar. Problem is,(besides making me miserable) is it slams on brakes when it gets tiniest bit of snow on bumper cover. Bendix says" not to be driven in bad weather! I know for a fact most of the major fleets have this system and they don't brake from highway speeds when it's snowing, nor are drivers pulling over to clean covers! Latest was driving I 90 in WA, it just started to sleet, moments later warning alarms and an unexpected full brake from 65mph. As I collected myself, the truck directly behind me was a greyhound bus, had the driver not been alert this could have turned into a cat atrophy! Gone around with Kenworth for a year and a half, they can't find issue, aren't, trying and basically telling me trucks not to be driven in weather, that's BS. Anyone have advice?
replyreply
RE: Radar deathtrap
I have also heard plenty of truck owners with that system say that there is an overpass that people pass under on I-95, somewhere in north Carolina I think, at certain times of day, dry, sunny, no one else in front of you ... for some reason, that particular spot, right as you pass under that overpass, it sometimes sets those things off too. Slams braked all the way, just like you describe.

============

Maybe trucks with those system on them should have HUGE YELLOW SIGNS across the back of the vehicle saying to stay far back, because it is equiped with an Automated "Sudden Slam on the Brakes" device? .. lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , smorgan87 , JimT
(12-05-2021 )Samson Wrote:  My 2019 T 680 has factory radar. Problem is,(besides making me miserable) is it slams on brakes when it gets tiniest bit of snow on bumper cover. Bendix says" not to be driven in bad weather! I know for a fact most of the major fleets have this system and they don't brake from highway speeds when it's snowing, nor are drivers pulling over to clean covers! Latest was driving I 90 in WA, it just started to sleet, moments later warning alarms and an unexpected full brake from 65mph. As I collected myself, the truck directly behind me was a greyhound bus, had the driver not been alert this could have turned into a cat atrophy! Gone around with Kenworth for a year and a half, they can't find issue, aren't, trying and basically telling me trucks not to be driven in weather, that's BS. Anyone have advice?
I don't know what the brake manufacturer installed on your truck but if Bendix you can try Bendix Acom diagnostic with adapter suitable for your truck year. Acom diagnostic has future to adjust radar antenna aim and sensitivity. Also you can test whole brake system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
(12-05-2021 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(12-05-2021 )Samson Wrote:  My 2019 T 680 has factory radar. Problem is,(besides making me miserable) is it slams on brakes when it gets tiniest bit of snow on bumper cover. Bendix says" not to be driven in bad weather! I know for a fact most of the major fleets have this system and they don't brake from highway speeds when it's snowing, nor are drivers pulling over to clean covers! Latest was driving I 90 in WA, it just started to sleet, moments later warning alarms and an unexpected full brake from 65mph. As I collected myself, the truck directly behind me was a greyhound bus, had the driver not been alert this could have turned into a cat atrophy! Gone around with Kenworth for a year and a half, they can't find issue, aren't, trying and basically telling me trucks not to be driven in weather, that's BS. Anyone have advice?
I don't know what the brake manufacturer installed on your truck but if Bendix you can try Bendix Acom diagnostic with adapter suitable for your truck year. Acom diagnostic has future to adjust radar antenna aim and sensitivity. Also you can test whole brake system.

Bendix also has an excellent Technical help line. 800-247-2725
replyreply
12-06-2021, (Subject: Radar deathtrap ) 
Bendix rep here in AZ's position is it can't be driven in bad weather, that's the mentality Im facing! will try help line thankyou1
replyreply
12-08-2021, (Subject: Radar deathtrap ) 
Can the system not be disabled?
replyreply
12-09-2021, (Subject: Radar deathtrap ) 
that's the big problem, you can't turn off disable or alter a "safety device", this in my opinion is not a safety device it has truck driving you, not you driving truck. in hindsight would have walked away had I been properly educated about system!
replyreply
12-12-2021, (Subject: Radar deathtrap ) 
Had a prostar company truck when at KNIGHT than was constantly giving me grief (there was no convincing the safety man it was faulty). Pos system that USDOT needs to ban. Seems to me thered be an option in the cab system or the braking system to deactivate the radar integration.
replyreply
12-12-2021, (Subject: Radar deathtrap ) 
If you put your tag over it, it will disable it but it will disable your cruise as well. I’ve unplugged them before as well just because of how crazy it acts.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.