Cummins isx500 with exhaust manifold leak
12-11-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx500 with exhaust manifold leak ) 
Cummins isx500 with exhaust manifold leak
I have a 2002 volvo 770 with a cummins isx500. I've noticed when on the boost there is a little noise from the engine that's hard to describe. I started looking around and found a broken bolt holding the back exhaust manifold to the block. There is some soot coming out but not horrible. The other bolts have rust on them so I'm sure getting them out I'll probably break several others off in the block. My question is if I'm going to be getting a new truck in about 100k miles is it worth it to change the gasket or will it get me by? I don't tow heavy, mostly 20-25k lbs, but don't want to blow out the gasket and be stuck somewhere. I still have full boost (as near as I can see) but don't want to mess anything up. Thanks for any advice.
replyreply
12-11-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx500 with exhaust manifold leak ) 
RE: Cummins isx500 with exhaust manifold leak
as bad as those bolts can look, they usually come out pretty easy. I would fix it if i were you, its only going to keep getting worse. It's not really a bad job.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hookliftpete
12-15-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx500 with exhaust manifold leak ) 
Even the broken bolt usually isn't bad to get out. Left handed drill bit and an easy out usually do the trick. The rest of them the name of the game is slow slow slow and easy with a small brake bar. Work them back and forth but by but until they are free. Then run them out.

Get all new bokts and spacers and put a very thin coating of anti seize on the threads before putting them in. Then properly torque everyone of them in proper sequence a couple times. Then hit them all again after a few hours of running the truck under load.
replyreply
12-15-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx500 with exhaust manifold leak ) 
(12-15-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Even the broken bolt usually isn't bad to get out. Left handed drill bit and an easy out usually do the trick. The rest of them the name of the game is slow slow slow and easy with a small brake bar. Work them back and forth but by but until they are free. Then run them out.

Get all new bokts and spacers and put a very thin coating of anti seize on the threads before putting them in. Then properly torque everyone of them in proper sequence a couple times. Then hit them all again after a few hours of running the truck under load.

Should also have the manifoldd itself surfaced and flattenend. They do distort over time and cause stress on the bolts.

ALSO, and just as important is to ensure the manifold holes are reemed properly. This is one of the biggest reason (besides someone improperly torquing the bolts) that they break bolts to begin with. Here is a reference to this: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid66592

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.