2 engines turned into one running 386 build thread.....
04-08-2021, (Subject: 2 engines turned into one running 386 build thread..... ) 
Wink 2 engines turned into one running 386 build thread.....
In a moment of poor judgment or maybe good judgment I bought a truck that needs the engine torn down to see what’s wrong (coolant suddenly in the pan, smells like burning oil, coolant and fuel all at the same time as well as missing and steamy blow by) and a spare motor (supposed low miles) I’d like some help with quicksrve comparing the two. I paid wrecker prices for the both so if they’re junk I’m only out my time to tear down.

I’m hoping to make one good runner out of the pair of engines. The one in the truck has a new turbo, new ecm and reman injectors. The spare is supposed to be low miles but the turbo and ecm were parted out.

I started to look in quickserve comparing the two but I don’t really know what the difference between part numbers are so if someone who knows wants to chime in I’d love feed back. When the shop slows up a bit I’ll pull both pans and heads off and see what’s what.

In truck s/n 79240836 cpl 2733 rated 485/1650

Spare a/n 79301420 cpl 2732 rated 450/1650

Tanks.
replyreply
RE: Help comparing 2 isx engines
The CPL2732 is a converted CM870 engine (old stock) into a CM871 on EPA credits via the factory before it was sold.

The CPL2733 is a true mid-tier CM871.

The head is actually exactly the same although they come up as 2 different assemblies. The valve cam, crank, and other hard parts are also the same.. however...

The CPL2732 has....
4923743 - pistons.
4954888 - Injectors.
3683658 - Injector cam.
4045032 - Turbo

The CPL2733 has...
4923747 - pistons.
4954434 - Injectors.
3684306 - Injector cam.
4045034 - Turbo

-- The turbo difference is unknown. it could simply be that one has the bigger cold-side housing on it and they are identical otherwise... or that they are actually 2 different tiers. If they are 2 different tiers then one will have a 12-point flange nut holding the cold side impeller in place, and the other will have a 6-point flange nut holding the cold side impeller in place. That is something to check, as it makes a difference in programming requirements and also overall efficiency.

-- As far as the other differences, the pistons, injectors, and injector cam are all part of a set to ensure the tighter CM871 emissions, compression ratio, fuelling quantity, injection timing standards. THEY MUST REMAIN AS A SET... even if the engine is deleted ... you cannot just slap in the injectors between one CPL to the other. The injector internal profile for each CPL matches up with the injector cam profile for proper fuelling and injection timing offsets. The pistons are a slightly different compression ratio as well. - These components must remain as a set. They are NOT interchangeable on the fly. You will get mis-matched components and it will not run as efficiently as it should, resulting in fuel mileage losses, programming mis-matches, and other longevity issues later on.

The programming used should also match whatever setup it has too + whatever truck specs required.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks boss. Once they’re both apart I’ll post up the results and see what kind of mutt of a motor we can make up here.

Where in the heck did you find that information? It would explain why they’re both out of 871 era trucks but one popped up as a 870 in quickserve.

The spare motor has been sitting for a decade, I’m really hoping it’s okay inside. FYI this will be for my own use, not over the road making a living or for sale to some unsuspecting guy. It’ll just be a nice looking truck for the shop to use with our pro tote or (someday) a landoll or rgn to go get customers trucks.
replyreply
12-22-2021, (Subject: 2 engines turned into one running 386 build thread..... ) 
A small update here: the original engine dropped a valve on #6. Pretty normal for an isx at 900,000 plus km. Bores and cams ok, no scuffing, no dropped liner, some crosshatch visible so I stripped the spare motor. It got water in it.. about half the oil pan was water. #5 had a mouse nest too lol.

No matter. A $5k Pete is a $5k Pete!! I ordered valve inserts and valves for the good spare head casting and welded out the seats. Cleaned the head and passages, I'll re use the cam bearings. They have a slight colour showing in the middle of the head but otherwise new looking. Put inserts in with drivers I made on the lathe from bar stock and cutoff valve stems.

Work has slowed so I can get this thing running this winter maybe. Maybe.

The plan is use the spare motor head casting with new valves and seats and the original motor bottom end and cams, injectors, turbo etc. Basically a low budget head replacement.
replyreply
12-23-2021, (Subject: 2 engines turned into one running 386 build thread..... ) 
RE: 2 engines turned into one running 386 build thread.....
Cost so far: $3500 cash plus $3500 labour credit for for the truck and parts motor. Has 950,000 km. New turbo, injectors, ECM, clutch and good used trans in the last 100,000 km. $1400.00 in gaskets.

Any one have a good process for: painting an engine inframe?. My plan is a needle scaler on the crusty parts, degreaser and spray red

Also anyone taken the front EGR third of a cm871 manifold and replaced it with with the back third of another to make a non EGR looking manifold? I think I could just drill and tap for the ebp sensor tube.
replyreply
(12-22-2021 )sask3500 Wrote:  A small update here: the original engine dropped a valve on #6. Pretty normal for an isx at 900,000 plus km. ...

NO... that is NOT normal for an ISX to do that!!..

also, the rest of your post implies heavily that you don't really give much about how long it lasts, vs. re-using old heads and trying to fix on them/rebuilding it.. I suppose if it is just your own half-baked back-yard project, that is fine, but for a commercial application.. I can only cringe and shutter about how much wrong with what you are doing it really is.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
It's not commercially minded. I use a truck about 200 hours a year. Most of that is time building air to move a trailer in. On the highway once a year to get a few liters of winter fuel. This is a do as I say not as I do thing with the intent of getting a running truck for as close to $0 as possible. Anyone copying what I'm doing with this mutt is a fool.

The head failure on #6 is the most common way I see them die. Most early isx engines here are patch and farm trucks, deleted, turned up and rode hard offroad, the majority at 140k. I would assume highway tractors wear our more evenly at a higher mileage. Your experience may vary from mine.

This site is full of good knowledge, and in the end it's your show. If what I'm doing is out of line with your intent with your site, shut er down. I won't be offended, not in the least.
replyreply
(12-23-2021 )sask3500 Wrote:  ...Most early isx engines here are patch and farm trucks, deleted, turned up and rode hard offroad, the majority at 140k. I would assume highway tractors wear our more evenly at a higher mileage. Your experience may vary from mine.

yes.. my experience IS very different from yours.. BECAUSE OF BAD DELETES CAUSING DROPPED VALVES AND OTHER COMMONLY SEEN PRE-MATURE ENGINE FAILURES!!!.. THAT IS WHY!!!... Don;t blame it on the engine.. blame it on the ignorance and abuse they suffer at such horrible engine killing garbage that is typically seen done to them.

That is why I don't see what you see.. I don't hang around engines and trucks that are abused badly like this.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.