Oil pan T joint sealants
12-24-2021, (Subject: Oil pan T joint sealants ) 
Oil pan T joint sealants
2012 CM2250, 855k:

I have tried several sealants on the T joints when removing the oil pan. What are you guys using and with what kind of luck?? The best luck I have had is with the Cummins spec grey silicone, but it requires a new gasket at $200 everytime I have to remove the oil pan because I can’t clean it out of the gasket grooves without damaging the gasket.. last time about a year ago I tried great white pipe dope, thinking I would be able to clean it off and reuse the gasket when I dropped the pan again. It lasted awhile but it is starting to leak at the joints.

Also, do any of you apply sealant to the whole gasket?? I am kicking around the idea this time,…looking for possible pros and cons…

I hate leaks, of any kind, even small ones!

Thanks, And Merry Christmas to you all!! JMBT

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Oil pan T joint sealants
I always use the right stuff in the corners, and it just about holds the gasket when I drop the pan. Next time I’m going to add a few dabs on the long sides with hope the gasket just stays on the block when I drop the pan. As long as it doesn’t break free from any gasketed parts it should seal ok?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
X2 on the “right stuff”. It is the best sealant/gasket maker I’ve used. But, it is like glue . On the silicone pan gaskets use it only on the top at the joints maybe a dab or two down the middle and it should keep the gasket on the block when u drop the pan.

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
12-25-2021, (Subject: Oil pan T joint sealants ) 
Thanks guys. I will check that out.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Ok, so I just looked it up, permatex right stuff, and I think I will give it a try. Are there any special tricks to using it, or just follow the directions on the tube??

replyreply
(12-25-2021 )JMBT Wrote:  Ok, so I just looked it up, permatex right stuff, and I think I will give it a try. Are there any special tricks to using it, or just follow the directions on the tube??

It's sticky/tacky and if you're not careful it can spread onto everything you touch if you get some on your fingers. It's worse than anti-seize lol. It doesn't store well once first use. 50/50 odds of pulling the plug and getting it to flow after sitting a few months.
replyreply
Ok guys thanks for the info!! I am getting ready to order it. Do you use the red, black, or gray version?? I am guessing the black??

replyreply
(12-25-2021 )JMBT Wrote:  Ok guys thanks for the info!! I am getting ready to order it. Do you use the red, black, or gray version?? I am guessing the black??

I've tried the others, but I prefer the 1 minute black in the pressurized can.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-29208-Ri...AH5DI?th=1
replyreply
You can clean silicone mostly off, then add a touch of fresh silicone and reuse the gasket. Don't coat the entire gasket in anything apart from the corners.

Also, why are you removing your pan so often that this is even a concern for you??
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.