Firewall Air Manifold
12-30-2021, (Subject: Firewall Air Manifold ) 
Firewall Air Manifold
2014 Pete 388

Has an Air Distribution Manifold on the firewall with approximately 14 airlines into and out of on both sides. So it developed a leak then another and another. I write this to hopefully keep someone from doing what I did.

Peterbilt wanted $530 for this part. I bought the same PAACAR part OEM from an online source for $240, which I was fine with until I had already bought it and took the old part off. First if you just want a new manifold buy it and move on. But if you have the time and the O-rings Im quite convinced that you could simply remove and replace O-rings to fix the problem. The other option to complete eliminating the entire thing would be to make your own.

Luckily on mine every connection was a straight pass thru except for one which is a straight T. A person could easily make a plate out of aluminum maybe 1/8” thick. Drill the necessary holes to accept pass thru flared brass air fittings that will never leak again then mount it to the firewall and roll on.

I would do this myself and just return the part but Im out of time. Have to go back to work next week. So hope this helps anyone with similar issues

Happy New Year!

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , ahub86
RE: Firewall Air Manifold
For some reason paccar air fittings are total garbage.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
Thanks for this. I loved those push fit connections when I was adding in things during my dump truck build. Quick and easy shove the line in and go. But….I know it won’t last. If you touch them, move them, pull out the line and reuse them, or even look to hard at them for that matter they leak! I replace them all the time on other parts of the truck with compression fittings to keep the leaks at bay. My truck will still have 90 lbs after 5 days or so. Then I will get a leaker somewhere and lose air overnight. Out comes soapy water and replace more push fittings. I am dreading the day the leaks start coming from that pass through in the firewall. Things get a little tight there. I will try your o ring replacement idea there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
12-31-2021, (Subject: Firewall Air Manifold ) 
(12-30-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  For some reason paccar air fittings are total garbage.

ALL plastic quick-connects are total garbage, but they keep trucks rolling into the dealers for big $$ repairs. They're a pain in the ass that most people don't want to mess with and they Stealerships know it. So they charge STUPID $$ for cheap quality and they love it!

Example: This part was $530 at Peterbilt. Their rate (at least at Rush Truck in Dallas) is $170 flat rate. This is a 2 hr job, plus any other parts and tax. The MINIMUM out the door price for this job would have been $942 for something that probably cost them MAYBE $200. This is why they make plastic parts!

Mine was so loud at times that any DOT with any ability to hear would have just shut me down. I bought a box full of compression brass air fittings, almost $500 worth of various sizes and types and where I can use them to permanently remove air leaks I do. I wish I had time to manufacture my own manifold in this case, and maybe I still will, but in the mean time I bought this new one at 1/2 the price of the Stealerships rate and hopefully it'll get me a few more miles down the road.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , RocketScott

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.