TRP Intercooler
01-01-2022, (Subject: TRP Intercooler ) 
TRP Intercooler
So I read on here many times not to use aftermarket intercoolers but what about TRP brand for a Kenworth truck??? Are they any good beings they're owned by Paccar?? I noticed they are about half the money of the Genuine factory replacement but don't want junk
replyreply
01-01-2022, (Subject: TRP Intercooler ) 
RE: TRP Intercooler
I personally have found the TRP intercoolers to be rubbish. The quality isnt there and also seen them crack and break prematurely. Cant beat the factory original.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Volvo8873 , Signature620 , Chamberpains
01-04-2022, (Subject: TRP Intercooler ) 
So I ordered the original paccar intercooler got it in and pressure tested it and found a leak at the bottom corner at one of the welds. Pressurized it to 30 PSI and it dropped 1.75 PSI in a minute. Pretty disappointing after spending nearly 1,600 to try to avoid poor quality problems. Unfortunately it was already installed in the truck and I didn't have time pull it out and exchange it for another. Will a leak of that amount have any effect on fuel mileage??
replyreply
Probably wont effect fuel mileage. But being its a new part i would be getting warranty.
replyreply
KW intercooler are fairly Stout. To have a crack right out of the box probably means it was abused in transit or someone installed it under pressure (bent bracket or misaligned holes)Take it back and get one that isn't leaking. They don't get any better. If misaligned holes then be sure the new one isn't installed under stress. Do whatever is takes. Or you will be replacing it again and again.
replyreply
(01-04-2022 )Truckdriven Wrote:  So I ordered the original paccar intercooler got it in and pressure tested it and found a leak at the bottom corner at one of the welds. Pressurized it to 30 PSI and it dropped 1.75 PSI in a minute. Pretty disappointing after spending nearly 1,600 to try to avoid poor quality problems. Unfortunately it was already installed in the truck and I didn't have time pull it out and exchange it for another. Will a leak of that amount have any effect on fuel mileage??

the rule of thumb is 10 psi in one minute. Yours is fine!. they do not have to be a perfect seal.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-04-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-04-2022 )Truckdriven Wrote:  So I ordered the original paccar intercooler got it in and pressure tested it and found a leak at the bottom corner at one of the welds. Pressurized it to 30 PSI and it dropped 1.75 PSI in a minute. Pretty disappointing after spending nearly 1,600 to try to avoid poor quality problems. Unfortunately it was already installed in the truck and I didn't have time pull it out and exchange it for another. Will a leak of that amount have any effect on fuel mileage??

the rule of thumb is 10 psi in one minute. Yours is fine!. they do not have to be a perfect seal.

Yeah this isn't a cracked or damaged unit from handling. They simply did not hold their weld quite long enough at the end of the bead and there's a small dimple where it leaks so I would not expect it to get any worse over time. They will warranty the part but nothing for the labor of having to do it a second time and I don't need extra work right now.
replyreply
They leak like that on brand new trucks right off the factory floor. I've never seen one that was 100% air tight, they don't build them to that kind of standard.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
TRP we try not to use not because of leakage but a fitment issue on the lower ears. They seem to all be about 5mm too narrow and can't get them to sit right without stressing upper bushings and flaring one lower ear or trimming a bushing.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.