Oil in coolant
01-05-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
Oil in coolant
I have an ISX12 CM2250 that is getting oil in the coolant. I took the oil cooler out and pressure tested it and found a leak. Replaced the oil cooler and seals following quick serves procedure details. Then flushed the cooling system 6 times with restore and it cleaned up nice.

Its been fine for a few months and now has a bunch of oil in the coolant again. I pressure tested the turbo but it held pressure just fine. Checked the transmission cooler and all is solid.

What are my next steps?
replyreply
01-05-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
RE: Oil in coolant
(01-05-2022 )lwilder27 Wrote:  I have an ISX12 CM2250 that is getting oil in the coolant. I took the oil cooler out and pressure tested it and found a leak. Replaced the oil cooler and seals following quick serves procedure details. Then flushed the cooling system 6 times with restore and it cleaned up nice.

Its been fine for a few months and now has a bunch of oil in the coolant again. I pressure tested the turbo but it held pressure just fine. Checked the transmission cooler and all is solid.

What are my next steps?

this may help: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid67889

also.. does your tranny have an internal heat exchanger?.. it could be coming from the tranny.

also: if you pressurize the coolant system to 20-psi and let it sit over night with the oil pan off the engine, your likely to find out where the 2 are mixing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-14-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
I went back and looked at my old invoice for the cooler and seals and they are the incorrect ones. Someone missed the TSB along with the new cooler. Tearing it down to re-seal it. Thank you
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Pd6cas2
02-04-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
Finally got around to this project.

Took the oil filter and oil pan off and disconnected the tranny cooler lines and pressurized the cooling system to 20 psi overnight multiple nights and cant get the leak to show.

I went over the TSB on the seals from when I replaced the oil cooler and I did use the correct seals. Decided to just pull the oil cooler off and test it. Also holds pressure overnight with zero bubbles.

Not sure where to go from here again. Any more suggestions? Hate to start a big job over something I could be overlooking.
replyreply
02-05-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
Did you submerge it in water under pressure to check for leaks? Also be sure it isn't leaking through the 2 front bolts that hold the core down. Sometimes the holes are drilled through to the cavity for the oil thermostat.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
02-07-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
Yes, I build a block off plate and put 120PSI to it and submerged it in water. Not one bubble.

As far as the bolts holding the core down, I should have seen that leaking underwater.
replyreply
02-10-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
Any other ideas here before I commit to pulling the head?
replyreply
02-11-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
(02-10-2022 )lwilder27 Wrote:  Any other ideas here before I commit to pulling the head?

let it sit for a couple-3 days with the oil pan off it and 20 PSI on the coolant system,?. - if it will leak one way.. it will leak back the other direction.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
02-22-2022, (Subject: Oil in coolant ) 
I let it sit for 5 days with fresh cardboard under it and the only leak I have is a tiny puddle from the radiator drain.

Is there any chance the oil I saw could have been residual? I flushed it thoroughly but I am not 100% convinced this is new especially with not being able to pinpoint a single drop of coolant.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.