X15 turbo options
01-08-2022, (Subject: X15 turbo options ) 
X15 turbo options
Hey all,
New to the group and new to the Cummins motors. I’m looking for info and suggestions on what I can do with my x15’s. I have two that have been de mandated. We added a small amount of power to one and as a whole the truck runs good. The problem we’re having is we keep going through turbos. I’ve been told we are over spinning the compressor wheel and the vgt eventually locks up. What options are there for putting a little more power to the truck safely. We do heavy haul work so I’m not trying to have stupid power. Somewhere in the 650hp range at the wheels.
Thanks
replyreply
RE: X15 turbo options
Since your new here, it's almost impossible that you have a good program in those trucks. There's only a handful of people on the planet that can do them right, I'm not exaggerating. Your gonna want to pull a copy of the program out and send it Rawze for review, he'll tell you if it's good or bad. A bad program would most certainly cause the problems you're having and MANY more if you don't get it straightened out correctly.

Are your cans hollowed out 100% ? A lot of times we find out that people either don't do anything with the cans or they might just drill a few 1" holes in the dpf and bolt it back on. They must be completely gutted 100% or you can get a lot of heat reflecting back on the turbo and also flow restrictions when those little holes get Carboned shut or the honeycomb material breaks loose and ends up blocking the drilled holes.

Whatever you do DON'T LET SOMEONE TALK YOU INTO REPLACING THAT VGT WITH A FIXED VANE!!!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rix43
(01-08-2022 )Outlaw8850 Wrote:  Hey all,
New to the group and new to the Cummins motors. I’m looking for info and suggestions on what I can do with my x15’s. I have two that have been de mandated. We added a small amount of power to one and as a whole the truck runs good. The problem we’re having is we keep going through turbos. I’ve been told we are over spinning the compressor wheel and the vgt eventually locks up. What options are there for putting a little more power to the truck safely. We do heavy haul work so I’m not trying to have stupid power. Somewhere in the 650hp range at the wheels.
Thanks

Your at the wrong place if your looking to abuse your equipment and do horrible s$it-tune mods.

As far as what turbo to use.. that VGT is the best option for almost all applications. Stop listening to idiots.

like mentioned already... If you give a damn at all.. then you need to promptly... and immediately.. Pull a copy of the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a review.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rix43
The can has been completely removed and replaced with a resonator so there’s no issue there. I’ll see about pulling the file and sending it off. What I’ve noticed and herd people talking about is how small the compressor wheel is on the x15’s and that they can’t support very much power. I’m not trying to abuse the truck or motor. Just wanting a little bit more reasonable power. I’m use to cat motors where it doesn’t take much to get reliable power in the 650hp range at the wheels. Doing what we do that seams to be a safe number to work with that’s makes the job a little easier but not tear the equipment up.
replyreply
(01-08-2022 )Outlaw8850 Wrote:  What I’ve noticed and herd people talking about is how small the compressor wheel is on the x15’s and that they can’t support very much power.

This isn't true at all, you can easily achieve 650 hp with an X15 but this can come at a cost. You need to realize that a cummins isn't a cat. It's an entirely different design. You also need to know that putting the torque above 1800 ft lb. Will drastically shorten the lifespan of a cummins. Especially if it's lugged below 1500 rpm it's entire life...... Just a few things to think about.

Just curious what are your rear ratio's ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-08-2022 )Outlaw8850 Wrote:  I’m not trying to have stupid power. Somewhere in the 650hp range at the wheels.

What would you consider 'stupid power'? 650 on the ground is 720-750 at the flywheel. You're probably going to have learn to live with frequent repairs or a bit less power.

Turbine speed has nothing to do with early VG failures - They are usually caused by excess heat.
replyreply
(01-08-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  
(01-08-2022 )Outlaw8850 Wrote:  What I’ve noticed and herd people talking about is how small the compressor wheel is on the x15’s and that they can’t support very much power.

This isn't true at all, you can easily achieve 650 hp with an X15 but this can come at a cost. You need to realize that a cummins isn't a cat. It's an entirely different design. You also need to know that putting the torque above 1800 ft lb. Will drastically shorten the lifespan of a cummins. Especially if it's lugged below 1500 rpm it's entire life...... Just a few things to think about.

Just curious what are your rear ratio's ?

I understand they aren’t cats. The motor started life as a 605 hp 2050 torque motor and with the omiton of things we do run the motor above 1,500 rpms. What I’m seeing is making wheel power in the 650 range is hard because of the size of the compressor wheel on the turbo. It can’t flow enough volume without being over spun. That’s where I’m seeking help and knowledge. The basic motor can handle the power if treated right. For instant we have already added a block stiffer plate witch helps stabilize the block from flexing and allowing the liners to walk around.
replyreply
01-09-2022, (Subject: X15 turbo options ) 
(01-08-2022 )Signature620 Wrote:  
(01-08-2022 )Outlaw8850 Wrote:  I’m not trying to have stupid power. Somewhere in the 650hp range at the wheels.

What would you consider 'stupid power'? 650 on the ground is 720-750 at the flywheel. You're probably going to have learn to live with frequent repairs or a bit less power.

Turbine speed has nothing to do with early VG failures - They are usually caused by excess heat.

We have been able to keep the heat down. Our pyrometer is post turbo and stays under 1,000 degrees but with minimal power added we have been over speeding the compressor wheel. That’s why we are loosing the turbos. I’m assuming it’s not the vgt or actuator that’s failing but the turbos are having to be replaced.
replyreply
01-09-2022, (Subject: X15 turbo options ) 
(01-09-2022 )Outlaw8850 Wrote:  ...
We have been able to keep the heat down. Our pyrometer is post turbo and stays under 1,000 degrees but with minimal power added we have been over speeding the compressor wheel. That’s why we are loosing the turbos. I’m assuming it’s not the vgt or actuator that’s failing but the turbos are having to be replaced.

your about an inch away from getting banned form here for such stupidity!.. i don't tolerate idiots who are h#ell bend on abusing their engines.. and you ARE CLEARLY ABUSING YOUR EQUIPMENT AND LETTING IDIOTS DO GARBAGE MODS TO IT!!!...

LASTLY.. THAT ENGINE CANNOT HANDLE MORE THAN ABOUT 30 PSI OF BOOST ON IT OR SO.. I GUARANTEE YOU WITHOUT ANY DAMN DOUBT.. that if that turbo is over-spinning.. THAT UNLESS THERE IS SOMETHING REALLY WRONG WITH THE AIR-FLOW ON THE TRUCK.. THEN ITS ALSO OVER-BOOSTING LIKE HE#LL.. BECAUSE OF BAD DELETE PROGRAMMING.. AND YOUR EXCUSES ARE THE SAME DAMN EXCUSES THAT THOSE BAD DELETE GUYS ALWAYS GIVE YOU WHEN THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROPERLY PROGRAM THAT TURBO OR ENGINE TO PROVIDE THE CORRECT BOOST!!...

AND THE EGT'S NOT GOING ABOVE 1000-F IS A SIGN OF HORRIBLE INJECTION TIMING IN THE ENGINE!!!...

AND SOME LAME GODDAMN EXCUSE OF USING STIFFENING PLATES TO GET IT TO QUIT FRETTING LINERS.. IS ALSO A COVER-UP TO BAD DELETE PROGRAMMING!!!.. THEY DON'T FRET LINERS LIKE THAT DUE TO "FLEX" .. WHAT GODDAMN HORRIBLE, COMPLETE MORON OF AN IDIOT CAME UP WITH THAT GARBAGE?!!!!... LINER FRETTING AND ALL THE OTHER PROBLEMS SEEN ARE A DIRECT RESULT OF EXCESS LATERAL THRUST (INTERNAL FRICTION) CONTROL BY THE ECM THAT HAS BEEN COMPLETELY DESTROYED IN THE LOGIC WITH THESE 90%+ BAD DELETE PROGRAMS!!!.. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT MAKES BAD DELETE PROGRAMMING.. BAD DELETE PROGRAMMING.. -- YOU EITHER NEED TO WAKE THE F$UCK UP REAL FAST OR GET THE HELL OFF MY FORUM AND GO ABUSE YOUR TRUCK ELSEWHERE!!!.. YOU ARE AT THE WRONG PLACE FOR THAT KIND OF COMPLETE GARBAGE-CAN THINKING!.

I CAN GAURENTEE YOU THAT IF THE SAME PEOPLE ARE TELLING YOU THOSE HORRIBLE THINGS.. THEN THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY ABUSING AND MAKING BAD DELETE PROGRAMMING FOR THESE ENGINES!!!.. THEY HAVE TO BE COMPLETE IDIOTS WHO ARE BEYOND GODDAMN CLUELESS!!! -- YOU'VE BEEN HANGING OUT WITH THE WRONG GODDAMN CROWD. WE KNOW THAT TYPE OF IDIOT REALLY WELL AROUND HERE.. ITS THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WILL ALWAYS SWEAR THE ISX AND/OR ITS TURBO IS NOTHING BUT JUNK!!.. BECAUSE THEY ABUSE THEM INTO OBLIVION AND THEN BLAME THE COMPONENTS WHEN THEY FAIL OVER AND OVER AGAIN!... AND THIS PLAGUE IS THE MOST PREVELENT IN CANADA WHERE BAD DELETE PROGRAMMING IS BEYIND OUT OF CONTROL UP THERE .. AND FOR SOME GODDAMN REASON IT IS THE WORST OF IT ALL!!!.. - AND IF YOU DON'T AGREE THEN YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ON MY FORUM!.. GO ABUSE AND MAKE RED-NECK BACK-WOODS MODS TO YOUR JUNK SOMEWHERE ELSE, AND AFTER YOU HAVE REBUILT IT ABOUT EVERY 2-3 YEARS OR SO TO THE TUNE OF MORE THAN $20K A POP. AND IT RUNS YOU OUT OF BUSINESS.. YOU CAN GO BACK AND RE-READ THESE POSTS TO REMIND YOU OF WHAT A F$UCK-UP YOU DID TO YOUR EQUIPMENT!.

damn,. this guy is absolutely in the dark.. damn, has he been brainwashed into oblivion.. lets see what he does.. Will he wake the h$ell up and realize that what he is doing is absolute engine abuse?/.. or will I have to ban him next.. {the popcorn is brewing}...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DieselKid

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.