X15 efficiency idle vibration
01-23-2022, (Subject: X15 efficiency idle vibration ) 
RE: X15 efficiency idle vibration
First I would suggest you set your idle to 700 rpm as previously suggested. The min/max input rpm for an RDS series tranny is 500-800, that will smooth out the engine a bit and the urge to move you feel will not be any worse than it is at 600rpm’s. Next I would get ahold of a trusted tech and have them enable the “neutral at stop” function in the Allison programming if you wanna do away with the torque converter “grab” at idle. Unfortunately if you do the “neutral at stop” it probably won’t be as good for roto-milling or backing into a paver ect...

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: newyorktruckah
01-23-2022, (Subject: X15 efficiency idle vibration ) 
(01-23-2022 )schISM Wrote:  First I would suggest you set your idle to 700 rpm as previously suggested. The min/max input rpm for an RDS series tranny is 500-800, that will smooth out the engine a bit and the urge to move you feel will not be any worse than it is at 600rpm’s. Next I would get ahold of a trusted tech and have them enable the “neutral at stop” function in the Allison programming if you wanna do away with the torque converter “grab” at idle. Unfortunately if you do the “neutral at stop” it probably won’t be as good for roto-milling or backing into a paver ect...

Awesome wasn’t sure if it was possible with this generation tranny to enable neutral at stop as I have only read about it recently have a connect at my local Pete dealer which is also an Allison dealer so I will look into it. We usually don’t do too much milling as we’re usually redoing to the roadbase to finish pave so it’s more excavators ripping. With paving side of things we leave truck in neutral with a light brake application and have to paver push us from behind. Appreciate you giving some solid ideas and not just shooting shi#t down lol. Might end up trying that balancer from Pittsburg anyway it only around 3 hundred and my house mechanic is slow anyways at the moment.
replyreply
01-24-2022, (Subject: X15 efficiency idle vibration ) 
(01-23-2022 )newyorktruckah Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 )schISM Wrote:  First I would suggest you set your idle to 700 rpm as previously suggested. The min/max input rpm for an RDS series tranny is 500-800, that will smooth out the engine a bit and the urge to move you feel will not be any worse than it is at 600rpm’s. Next I would get ahold of a trusted tech and have them enable the “neutral at stop” function in the Allison programming if you wanna do away with the torque converter “grab” at idle. Unfortunately if you do the “neutral at stop” it probably won’t be as good for roto-milling or backing into a paver ect...

Awesome wasn’t sure if it was possible with this generation tranny to enable neutral at stop as I have only read about it recently have a connect at my local Pete dealer which is also an Allison dealer so I will look into it. We usually don’t do too much milling as we’re usually redoing to the roadbase to finish pave so it’s more excavators ripping. With paving side of things we leave truck in neutral with a light brake application and have to paver push us from behind. Appreciate you giving some solid ideas and not just shooting shi#t down lol. Might end up trying that balancer from Pittsburg anyway it only around 3 hundred and my house mechanic is slow anyways at the moment.

Glad to help, let us know what you come up with. I know you got a bit of grief for suggesting the balancer but for the most part anything that comes from that shop in Pittsburgh is a waste of money. Most people have luck with the centramatics balancing tires and think that same principle would apply to an engine, it doesn’t. An inline 6 cylinder engine is inherently balanced because for each crank throw, rod and piston assembly that is moving up toward TDC you will have another crank throw, rod and piston assembly traveling in the exact opposite direction that cancels out the inertia generated. The crank dampner doesn’t balance anything on the reciprocating assembly it only absorbs the “harmonics” created by the twisting and flexing of the crankshaft, eg... if you were to take the dampner of the front of that engine and fire it up you would be hard pressed to feel any difference in vibration at all, in fact the smoothest engine I’ve ever encountered (flathead I6 Ford) didn’t use a dampner at all. So my point being the balancer your considering will do nothing for vibratIons and may misalign your serpentine belt just enough to cause premature wear, just speculating on that though.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Nostalgic , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.