Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937
01-21-2022, (Subject: Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937 ) 
Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937
I ended up picking up a 2014 Kw with a brand new engine. It’s locked up. So I’m gonna be neck deep in it.

#5 had open valves and when I poured penetrant into the head. That’s really where it flowed to.

Engine has never been fired.

I’m going to need a new turbo. Mine is also weathered. I was going to check liner height while head is off.

Engine is CPL 3937 450hp rated.

0 run time. Never had oil in it. From Cummins..

I don’t care for a hot rod truck. I just need something that will work, but I want to do the work while I’m in there.

Following advice.. would be raise liner height to 14 thousandth
Maybe a bigger vgt turbo while there
Obviously a happy calibration to make it last

I am looking at a cpl 4588 engine on marketplace out west. It’s from a wrecked truck, but cheap and complete. Basically for the price of a turbo.

Unsure of what the best route to go in. Maybe pull head and find one liner piston froze up. Fix that and liner heights on the rest while apart. Sling it back together from there and run it.

This is my first rig and it’s already a party.

Sincerely,
Doug
replyreply
01-21-2022, (Subject: Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937 ) 
RE: Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937
your post there seems very vague.

umm,.. first of all.. have you removed all the belts and tried to turn it over by hand?. i have seen people swear their engine was locked up.. only to find that it was the fan pulley, or alternator completely seized.

your post also implies that it may be locked up due to rust? .. you did not explain.

NEXT: did you pull all the injectors out and tried to turn it over?. u sure it is not simply hydra-locked?

and this statement...
(01-21-2022 )DurtyD Wrote:  ...

Factory engines are run up, broken in, and pre-lubed before they leaving the facility. they are not assembled dry, and then shipped out. did someone expose it to the outside weather for a year?.. your post is kind of unclear.

--== contact cummins and make a warranty claim on it. As soon as you open it up yourself, all that would possibly be out the window.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
01-22-2022, (Subject: Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937 ) 
The receipt is a factory short block. Unsure if they run them As short blocks. The head was done by one of the good local machine shops. Belts off. Haven’t pulled injectors.

It’s obvious that it consumed water from the intake being left open.

The head is coming off. Warranty or not the engine was purchased in 2018 and if anything is wrong with it. Without question it will be user error.

If we get it apart and it’s something stupid. So be it, but I will know exactly what we have.

The real question CPL 3937 is it worth a crap, or should we fix it and flip it?

If worthy of love for a long life of service.

What is best route for turbo replacement? Stock, little bigger with a gastric bypass. Or nice non vgt. Obvious concerns are not damaging engine, but having a sound reliable truck that’s fun to drive. Some of the fuel sipping parameters make these ISX trucks less fun to drive.

I’m going to have a good amount of money invested in this. Knowing there is a problem I won’t be able to flip this thing off onto somebody else.

So we are locked in on making the repair.

Truck itself is a nice 2014 t660 with a big sleeper. Cosmetically nice. Needs some drive tires, but that’s just part of it.

(01-21-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  your post there seems very vague.

umm,.. first of all.. have you removed all the belts and tried to turn it over by hand?. i have seen people swear their engine was locked up.. only to find that it was the fan pulley, or alternator completely seized.

your post also implies that it may be locked up due to rust? .. you did not explain.

NEXT: did you pull all the injectors out and tried to turn it over?. u sure it is not simply hydra-locked?

and this statement...
(01-21-2022 )DurtyD Wrote:  ...

Factory engines are run up, broken in, and pre-lubed before they leaving the facility. they are not assembled dry, and then shipped out. did someone expose it to the outside weather for a year?.. your post is kind of unclear.

--== contact cummins and make a warranty claim on it. As soon as you open it up yourself, all that would possibly be out the window.
replyreply
01-22-2022, (Subject: Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937 ) 
(01-22-2022 )DurtyD Wrote:  ...

The real question CPL 3937 is it worth a crap, or should we fix it and flip it?

If worthy of love for a long life of service.

What is best route for turbo replacement? Stock, little bigger with a gastric bypass. Or nice non vgt. Obvious concerns are not damaging engine, but having a sound reliable truck that’s fun to drive. Some of the fuel sipping parameters make these ISX trucks less fun to drive.

your on the worng forum if your looking for advice on how to butcher it into oblivion.. you need to go back to the auto tuning sites and social medai places if all your looking to do it hack-job enigne builds and half-arssed turbo butcher-mods. that garbage has no plece here. STOP listning to the idiots!.

you want something "fun to drive"... then go buy a damn sports car... its cheaper in the end than to try to make garbage-can mods to a $40,000 commercial engine!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-23-2022, (Subject: Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937 ) 
That’s obviously why I’m here to listen to you. I’m not here to step on any toes.

I’ve done several forum searches before even coming here.

The calibration has to be spot on to get around the variables with this engine. Which I’ve seen you state the butchers ruin engines. The combination of higher compression, necessary egr flow, and the he451.

If you suggest dropping thousands on a stock replacement. I will. If there is a slightly bigger vgt that will perform better in this system without the mandate. I’ll put the money towards that.

Regardless. I’m locked in til solutions are found.

Sincerely
replyreply
(01-23-2022 )DurtyD Wrote:  That’s obviously why I’m here to listen to you. I’m not here to step on any toes.

The calibration has to be spot on to get around the variables with this engine. Which I’ve seen you state the butchers ruin engines. The combination of higher compression, necessary egr flow, and the he451.

If you suggest dropping thousands on a stock replacement. I will. If there is a slightly bigger vgt that will perform better in this system without the mandate. I’ll put the money towards that.

Sincerely

a 3937 is a mid-tier engine,... build it back as such. - It is not worth trying to half-arssed make it into a higher tier engine without a whole lot of parts like cams, pistons, possibly different head, etc,.etc.etc..

Set the thing on some reasonable power level .. and if it is 100% de-mandated properly (that is actually the hard part, as no one does it correctly).. do all its proper maintenance when it is due ... and it will live a very long life.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: DurtyD , amermextrucker
Awesome. Discretion is sort of a big deal to me when talking about de mandating and doing it properly. Should I just sling that conversation on the forum or send a private message?

Just for clarity, because I’ve read a few posts of the suggested recipe for success. I do have a couple questions.

(01-23-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 )DurtyD Wrote:  That’s obviously why I’m here to listen to you. I’m not here to step on any toes.

Sincerely

a 3937 is a mid-tier engine,... build it back as such. - It is not worth trying to half-arssed make it into a higher tier engine without a whole lot of parts like cams, pistons, possibly different head, etc,.etc.etc..

Set the thing on some reasonable power level .. and if it is 100% de-mandated properly (that is actually the hard part, as no one does it correctly).. do all its proper maintenance when it is due ... and it will live a very long life.
replyreply
01-24-2022, (Subject: Bring on the pain cm2350 cpl3937 ) 
OEM parts, build it back to what it is
IF you demandate use someone that knows what there doing
And for god sake keep the vgt turbo, yes there pricey BUT they will build boost
at much lower rpm than a wastegate ever thought about doing
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.