Cummins Reman Turbo
08-25-2016, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
Cummins Reman Turbo
Put a Cummins reman turbo on about 80,500 miles ago. Noticed oil sweating from CAC hose, pulled her off and sure enough got visible signs of oil. Took hose off going to venturi, and has oil in it also. Truck is 09 Prostar CM 871. Is it safe to run it to get it back home? When it rains it pours.
replyreply
RE: Cummins Reman Turbo
I guess that depends on how far home is. Running empty or very light, no mountains,
If you can keep the boost at a minimum,I might take the chance.
If you have oil on the intake side its bad already. That seal opens up anymore and it could run away.
Have a board or something to block the intake just in case.

CAC is going to need to be flushed good.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(08-25-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I guess that depends on how far home is. Running empty or very light, no mountains,
If you have oil on the intake side its bad already. That seal opens up anymore and it could run away.

I took it loose from turbo to CAC, and from CAC to venturi. Its not oil puddling or running out of the hoses, its more like a mist. Iy is gummy to the touch, which makes me think it has been going on a while now. Another thing, I had the guy who run the shop at the yard I park out get me the turbo. I put the turbo on, he calibrated it for me. I wouldn't let this shop work on nothing for me, but that's another story. Anyway I called and ask about warranty and they say it depends on where they bought it from. Seems they buy a lot of Cummins parts from Volvo dealer in town instead of Cummins, say they get better price. If bought from Volvo, I will have to buy another one and they will send the old one in and if its deemed covered under warranty, they will mail a check. 6 to 8 weeks later. Now if it was bought from Cummins they will warranty then and there with original receipt. Been scraping and scrounging coming up with enough to put new head, cam on, now this. Just spent over 11,000 on our other truck for tranny, clutch issues, my partner dumb ass autoshift. That's another story. I guess just call me Waterloo Jr!!! I will fix it myself or die or go broke one. I am so tired of these dealers and some repair places taking my damn hard earned money. I was nearly ready to sell my Prostar or trade it to and old pre egr piece of shi#t, but I will not surrender. With the help of this forum and people on it I am going to get this truck to be a money maker. Thanks Rawze.com
replyreply
(08-25-2016 )axe Wrote:  
(08-25-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I guess that depends on how far home is. Running empty or very light, no mountains,

I took it loose from turbo to CAC, and from CAC to venturi. Its not oil puddling or running out of the hoses, its more like a mist. Iy is gummy to the touch, which makes me think it has been going on a while now. Another thing, I had the guy who run the shop at the yard I park out get me the turbo. I put the turbo on, he calibrated it for me. I wouldn't let this shop work on nothing for me, but that's another story. Anyway I called and ask about warranty and they say it depends on where they bought it from. Seems they buy a lot of Cummins parts from Volvo dealer in town instead of Cummins, say they get better price. If bought from Volvo, I will have to buy another one and they will send the old one in and if its deemed covered under warranty, they will mail a check. 6 to 8 weeks later. Now if it was bought from Cummins they will warranty then and there with original receipt. Been scraping and scrounging coming up with enough to put new head, cam on, now this. Just spent over 11,000 on our other truck for tranny, clutch issues, my partner dumb ass autoshift. That's another story. I guess just call me Waterloo Jr!!! I will fix it myself or die or go broke one. I am so tired of these dealers and some repair places taking my damn hard earned money. I was nearly ready to sell my Prostar or trade it to and old pre egr piece of shi#t, but I will not surrender. With the help of this forum and people on it I am going to get this truck to be a money maker. Thanks Rawze.com

Well it seems they bought it from Volvo dealer and they say I will have to buy a new one. Needless to say I am not a happy camper rite now. This story is not looking like a happy ending
replyreply
Sometimes, hell, most of the time it seems you can't make it fast enough.
Waiting 6-8 weeks for reimbursement is BS! 80k miles on a reman? Also BS!

We've been clawing our way back from $15k overhaul, the head had 200k on it, cams are good. I count myself lucky that Gearhead did the job, very meticulous and it runs like a beast! Due to everyone and their brother running local rates into the ground we had to change tactics and start running farther and heavier but sticking to our guns and refusing to haul cheap freight is starting to pay off. About the time we get the tractor where it needs to be, we'll be buying a new trailer. Shippers are getting real picky about
good clean equipment and when you can keep a 100% on time record because you put money back into your business it does pay off, eventually!
I have to replace the trailer ABS ECU/valve this weekend, only $700. I just keeps coming but at some point you get out in front of it.

Keep your head down and keep plowing! When you get to the top of the hill, take a break and look around, it's downhill from there!

Don't forget, HUT 2290 is due at the end of the month!

replyreply
So not even Cummins reman turbos are good? Or this is just a bad one from the batch?
replyreply
I think it is hit or miss. I would look at where the dealer is getting the turbo from. Wouldn't be the first time they went with a tier 2 or 3 supplier and called it OEM reman.
Good idea to check warranty terms when buying big ticket parts. The lowest price isn't always the cheapest.

replyreply
(08-25-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I think it is hit or miss. I would look at where the dealer is getting the turbo from. Wouldn't be the first time they went with a tier 2 or 3 supplier and called it OEM reman.
Good idea to check warranty terms when buying big ticket parts. The lowest price isn't always the cheapest.

What if you get it from cummins? Same thing?
replyreply
I think straight from Cummins would be the best bet.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.