Cummins Reman Turbo
08-26-2016, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
RE: Cummins Reman Turbo
No idling, other than to let her warm up and oil temp to drop below 200* before shutting her down. Positive pressure, and checked CAC for leaks... I will recheck manifold, I have not seen any signs of leaks, will put a wrench to her when I get a chance... Other than that, truck runs great!
replyreply
08-26-2016, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
(08-26-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  If you idle a lot, reman's will slobber. No big deal. They will also slobber if there is a manifold leak.

If they are making you buy another, then just let it slobber and make sure you don't have any manifold leaks.

Also make sure there is positive pressure at the elbow to the CAC aT idle.

Thanks Rawze. I do idle a rite smart in the 100 degree summer months. I have run it around 600 miles and am not seeing any signs of oil. I haven't idled any since then either.
replyreply
12-29-2016, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
I have a reman turbo with about 60,000km on it doing just this. Little bit of oil sweating out of the silicone connector immediately after the compressor housing. I just had @m*m^2 put in middle of November and I'm wondering if the high idle amount we do coupled with the fact the engine isn't forcing the turbo to create back pressure at idle anymore is causing my issue. I'm also unsure of the condition of the CAC.. I've been looking around the city trying to find a test kit so I can verify it. Am I onto something or is my turbo toast?
replyreply
(12-29-2016 )Matt Wrote:  I have a reman turbo with about 60,000km on it doing just this. Little bit of oil sweating out of the silicone connector immediately after the compressor housing. I just had @m*m^2 put in middle of November and I'm wondering if the high idle amount we do coupled with the fact the engine isn't forcing the turbo to create back pressure at idle anymore is causing my issue. I'm also unsure of the condition of the CAC.. I've been looking around the city trying to find a test kit so I can verify it. Am I onto something or is my turbo toast?

Turbo is not toast unless it is bad enough to soak the intake manifold too.

YES, having less back-pressure on the face of the turbo can make a problem like that more pronounced, but does not cause it in itself. Like I said above, make sure there is at least some positive pressure at idle as well.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-29-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 )Matt Wrote:  I have a reman turbo with about 60,000km on it doing just this. Little bit of oil sweating out of the silicone connector immediately after the compressor housing. I just had @m*m^2 put in middle of November and I'm wondering if the high idle amount we do coupled with the fact the engine isn't forcing the turbo to create back pressure at idle anymore is causing my issue. I'm also unsure of the condition of the CAC.. I've been looking around the city trying to find a test kit so I can verify it. Am I onto something or is my turbo toast?

YES, having less back-pressure on the face of the turbo can make a problem like that more pronounced, but does not cause it in itself. Like I said above, make sure there is at least some positive pressure at idle as well.

Rawze, when I pull the elbow off the turbo going to the CAC I can feel by hand the its blowing out a positive charge. However, as i slowly put the elbow back on and off again there feels like theres a slight suction. The inside of that elbow has been slightly oil dampened over the last year but recently is more pronounced. FYI my actuator sits right at 5% at idle. Im not sure why I'm feeling that slight negative pressure.
replyreply
(12-29-2016 )389guy Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  

Rawze, when I pull the elbow off the turbo going to the CAC I can feel by hand the its blowing out a positive charge. However, as i slowly put the elbow back on and off again there feels like theres a slight suction. The inside of that elbow has been slightly oil dampened over the last year but recently is more pronounced. FYI my actuator sits right at 5% at idle. Im not sure why I'm feeling that slight negative pressure.

you may have a slight exhaust leak, which can cause that. The turbo can be tweaked to be brought up slightly to increase to a slight positive pressure.
replyreply
I had a reman turbo put on then a couple months later I @m*m^2 due to excessive regens because of high crankcase pressure/blowby.

a week after @m*m^2 I was getting loads of oil through the intake piping from the turbo and naturally I questioned rawze with all the same "are you sure?" and "could it be?"

Luckily he didn't just tell me to F off!

I brought it in to Daves diesel outside Edmonton to rebuild as I figured the seals were obviously toast.

They told me it was rebuilt wrong. (if I remember this correctly) the main turbine shafts has a seal and you are supposed to put the seal on then slide the shaft into it but whoever rebuilt it put the seal on the shaft and installed it all together. They said it's very common, even in Cummins remand.

the seal never sealed and they said the magic words to me... "I bet you have tonnes of blowby" damn turbo was boosting into my crankcase. that's why I @m*m^2 in the first place but on the plus side, at least I know my motor isn't hooped.... with that much blowby, I thought it was a bad motor. now I have no blowby.

The problem with the turbo was there, just relieving back pressure made it become more apparent.

I've hear rawze and others say time and time again that @m*m^2 let them start fixing things that were wrong with their trucks that they never knew about. It's so true, I was so blinded by emissions issues that I never noticed a bad valve cam or turbo that was bad or air in my fuel etc etc etc.

I went from knowing my motor was on its last leg to feeling like it's got nothing but time.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(12-29-2016 )389guy Wrote:  FYI my actuator sits right at 5% at idle

Then you might want to adjust it to about 20% or so at idle to make a bit more positive. That is not an unusual thing to to have to do.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-30-2016, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
Being the computer is commanding only 5% I think it will need to be reprogrammed. Im sure who ever did it will do that for you..
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.