Cummins Reman Turbo
02-24-2017, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
RE: Cummins Reman Turbo
(08-25-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I think straight from Cummins would be the best bet.

Wrong!
All truck dealers are taking "Cummins-Holset" turbos right out Cummins dealers. And only Cummins waranties it.
There is no "tier 2-3" suppliers. I was wandering if Cummins' outsourced rebuild factories have some tiers #s (which could affect the pricing), but was ensured by Cummins Central Power parts salesman, that all reman turbos comes from the same place!

In fact, truck dealers have much better price out of Cummins MSRPs because ot quantity of turbos (for example) anually buying by truck dealers! Im not talking about o-rings or some small shi#t which will cost truck dealer more just to deliver it to parts/service departments. Im talking about major components. Such as turbo, EGR coller, etc.

And I have very good example of it!
I bought my first reman turbo back to August 16 for $3052 from International dealer in NJ.
Brand new turbo was priced at $3750 or so. But it was on backorder from factory and waiting time was about 10 days. I definitely wanted brand new, and I was so stupid, and assured myself that I can not wait so long.
One trip NJ-MN and I get discovered that turbo is leaking oil on compressor side. I went to Gearhead and he re-tuned the turbo, as Rawze suggested. To be able to make positive pressure in intake Brian set it up for about 45% if I remember correctly... it did not help.

Im on second reman turbo right now (since oct 16), which was leaking oil on compressor side (such as 1st one), right out of the box, back in october 16. Now it getting worst. Such worst that Im about to replace it again.

Just today I was at International dealership trying to pick up my new reman turbo. It was deleivered from Cummins of Newark. I inspected it, and imagine, that impellers on compressor side were scratching compressor housing BADLY!!! Not even scratching-GRINDING IT! WTF!
I also showed it to the service manager, just wanted to see his reaction. He told me, very friendly,- "if it was in my shop, I would put it on...". He said, "this scratcing noise will likely disappear in a little while"! It froze me up...

Anyway.

The price went up since January 17. This 3rd reman would cost me $3354 unlike first two $3052 out of International dealership. As far as I was not able to get second try today (Friday afternoon), a salesman suggested me, go right to Cummins in Newark, NJ, the place where all dealerships getting Cummins parts from.

The Cummins price was $4388.43 + $875 core price. And then salesmen (after talk to manager) said, if you bring your failed reman I would charge you only $4388.43, then you fill up claim form and wait for refund for about 1.5-2 weeks.

So you see the difference in pricing? $3354 vs $4388.43? $1034!!!
For the absolutely same turbo! From the same shelf! With absolutely NO QUALITY ASSURANCE! With NO QUALITY CONTROL!

My original turbo had more then 800K on it when I demandated my 871 and then I found a slight oily film in a pipe between CAC & turbo. I have decided its a time for a new turbo. f$%k I was wrong!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux
02-24-2017, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
I got factory reman fro paccar on mine last year. does not leak at all. did i get luky?

i know guy who bought 4 before he found one that did not leak. he don even have dlete cuz he too adfraid to do. junky seal in reman maybe.

at those price it would have to be sucking a gallon e day before i would replace it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
02-25-2017, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
No bargins at Cummins Metro Power Newark.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
Im having issue with cummins isx 2250 turbo leaking oil, its bad enough the intake side has oil as well. I replaced turbo TWICE with cummins reman, and checked the things mentioned above, and all seems well, slight positive pressure when disconnect pipe where shown, crankcase filter has the maintenance free version, i blew air through the drain tube, its not clogged. What else could be causing turbo to fail? or could it be another issue and not the turbo? Ive read here its possible to get badly rebuilt reman, i guess i could just be the unlucky one to get 2 in a row, but i want some suggestions on what else to check so i can be certain theres not something else causing it. Thanks for advice!
replyreply
(11-16-2019 )eggtrucks Wrote:  Im having issue with cummins isx 2250 turbo leaking oil, its bad enough the intake side has oil as well. I replaced turbo TWICE with cummins reman, and checked the things mentioned above, and all seems well, slight positive pressure when disconnect pipe where shown, crankcase filter has the maintenance free version, i blew air through the drain tube, its not clogged. What else could be causing turbo to fail? or could it be another issue and not the turbo? Ive read here its possible to get badly rebuilt reman, i guess i could just be the unlucky one to get 2 in a row, but i want some suggestions on what else to check so i can be certain theres not something else causing it. Thanks for advice!

I know of a guy who went through 7 of them in a row before he got one that did not slobber at install.

If there are no reasons (like mentioned in previous post) that can accelerate it, then personally, I would not concern myself with it so much.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
General crankcase pressure question. I read thru this and the linked thread. From reading is it correct that a leaking turbo seal can put pressure in the crankcase? Making the blowby increase? Have a medium duty engine that appears to be doing that. Thanks
replyreply
(11-16-2019 )DVT873 Wrote:  General crankcase pressure question. I read thru this and the linked thread. From reading is it correct that a leaking turbo seal can put pressure in the crankcase? Making the blowby increase? Have a medium duty engine that appears to be doing that. Thanks

not typically, but crank case pressure can cause face seal to leak.

put oil drain line from turbo into bucket to find out.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
would it be better to get it rebuilt by guy up near mr hagg?

User's Signature: when things are not going good ,I just want to go sit in a mud puddle and blow bubbles
replyreply
11-17-2019, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
(11-16-2019 )flonly Wrote:  would it be better to get it rebuilt by guy up near mr hagg?

Yes, love mine, no slobber like the last two Cummins remans... I will stick with YTS Turbo there in Griffin GA... Half the price of what Cummins charges too... I think he gives a one year warranty too, but don't quote me on that. Going on two years with my YTS Turbo on my 871. Knock on wood...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.