Cummins Reman Turbo
11-17-2019, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
RE: Cummins Reman Turbo
(11-17-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  ...
Next someone said something about carrying a board to cover the intake in the event of a runaway. Carry a sharp knife instead.

Turn the key off. Then cut one of the two boots going to the intake (Drivers side boots)
Think about it. It's running away because it's getting Oil fed to it through the intake. ...

I would not recommend this unless someone is prepared to get 200+ degree oil all over them and end up in the hospital with second degree burns.

here is example of some things people use that would save an engine ...
https://www.amot.com/products/diesel-eng...-database/

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo
(11-16-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-16-2019 )DVT873 Wrote:  General crankcase pressure question. I read thru this and the linked thread. From reading is it correct that a leaking turbo seal can put pressure in the crankcase? Making the blowby increase? Have a medium duty engine that appears to be doing that. Thanks

not typically, but crank case pressure can cause face seal to leak.

put oil drain line from turbo into bucket to find out.

So if I have pressure coming out of the drain line from the turbo along with oil it is coming from the turbo? If I have pressure from the crankcase, I would need to measure, that could push the seal out? The turbos are Borg Warner factory remains, 6 months old. Pushing oil out and into CAC and beyond. Have sent turbos for tear down and inspection. Found this after cooling package was out for a front cover problem. Didn't want to take engine to temp. Was able to run a software based relative compression test that is usually in the ball park. Compression looks OK. This is a Closed Crankcase system that does have some issues.
replyreply
(11-17-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-17-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  ...
Next someone said something about carrying a board to cover the intake in the event of a runaway. Carry a sharp knife instead.

Turn the key off. Then cut one of the two boots going to the intake (Drivers side boots)
Think about it. It's running away because it's getting Oil fed to it through the intake. ...

I would not recommend this unless someone is prepared to get 200+ degree oil all over them and end up in the hospital with second degree burns.

here is example of some things people use that would save an engine ...
https://www.amot.com/products/diesel-eng...-database/

We used those shutoffs in the oil fields, they work. No way would I even open the hood of a runaway, they can blow apart so fast that by time you even get to your senses it is all over, at least that is my experience. We had one truck that sucked in some propane when we were off loading, the driver was in the seat, as the truck in front of him had a fitting fail, he started sucking propane and killed the truck just in time... Nothing to mess with. I have always thought of putting one of those valves on here, just in case...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LRT1549
11-18-2019, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
(11-17-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  Mine does that when I idle a lot, Not so much now with positive pressure at Idle. But it's been doing it for 4 years an over 400k miles.

Like Rawze said, if it's not on the intake side it's not to worry about.

Think about it. It's running away because it's getting Oil fed to it through the intake. Cut the boot and pull the tube away from the intake It quickly gets a breath of fresh non fuel containing air and with the key off it's getting no fuel from the fuel circuit. So it will shut right off shortly there afterwards. No need for the board cause by the time you got the intake off to put the board on it it would not be getting the oil diet anymore anyway.

CO2 fire extinguishers work well and are safe.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , DosGatos
can you even buy a brand new NOT A REMAN turbo for a cm871 anywhere.Just curious my original lasted over900000 miles 2 one lasted 125000 and 3 we will see.

User's Signature: when things are not going good ,I just want to go sit in a mud puddle and blow bubbles
replyreply
(11-18-2019 )flonly Wrote:  can you even buy a brand new NOT A REMAN turbo for a cm871 anywhere.Just curious my original lasted over900000 miles 2 one lasted 125000 and 3 we will see.

I had looked in the past, but have not seen any new ones on the market through Cummins in a few years. YTS is so far the best alternative to Cummins, his remanufacturing is light years ahead of the trash Cummins is putting out.
replyreply
(11-18-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(11-18-2019 )flonly Wrote:  can you even buy a brand new NOT A REMAN turbo for a cm871 anywhere.Just curious my original lasted over900000 miles 2 one lasted 125000 and 3 we will see.

I had looked in the past, but have not seen any new ones on the market through Cummins in a few years. YTS is so far the best alternative to Cummins, his remanufacturing is light years ahead of the trash Cummins is putting out.

Mr Waterloo,
You forgot the "Knock on Wood". Lol

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
11-19-2019, (Subject: Cummins Reman Turbo ) 
Knock on wood! Thanks, may have just saved my bacon!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.