2012 Isx 2350 475 with codes 4726 and 0559
03-03-2022, (Subject: 2012 Isx 2350 475 with codes 4726 and 0559 ) 
RE: 2012 Isx 2350 475 with codes 4726 and 0559
Yep, that's next. I have the injector isolation fittings and everything. Just kind of dreading going out in the cold rain. Again.
replyreply
Well the rain let up a bit. Went out and started with just the injector return test. Run the truck at idle, use Insite to run the High Pressure Fuel Leakage test. When you get a steady stream and the pressure stabilizes, move your drain line over to a graduated cylinder. Count off 60 seconds and measure how much drained out. Anything over 200ml and you have leaking injector(s).

I counted off the 60 seconds, I had collected 1300ml.

On to the isolation test which resulted in every injector but #6 leaking. Looks like I'm getting 6 new injectors and connectors.
replyreply
just my thoughts...

It is not normal for 5 injectors to fail ike that. usually maybe one .. perhaps 2 by the time you catch a leaky injector.. but for 5 of them to be bad.. that is either engine abuse.. bad de-mandate programming perhaps.. or some kind of serious neglect.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-04-2022, (Subject: 2012 Isx 2350 475 with codes 4726 and 0559 ) 
When you say every injector was leaking except #6, does that mean when you capped number 6 the leakage went under the 200ml with just that one capped?
replyreply
(03-03-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  just my thoughts...

It is not normal for 5 injectors to fail ike that. usually maybe one .. perhaps 2 by the time you catch a leaky injector.. but for 5 of them to be bad.. that is either engine abuse.. bad de-mandate programming perhaps.. or some kind of serious neglect.

I will go with the serious neglect in this case likely. My company bought out a company and adopted all of the old equipment from that company. I used to work for that old company and can tell you for certain that the owners had no idea how to keep a fleet moving. I remember having a fuel pump issue with one truck before and had to argue with the maintenance manager for the company just to be able to order the correct parts. It had the ceramic style plungers and they were broken. It was a fight just to get them to buy a new head. They didn't want to hear about how there is a total teardown style cleaning process because of that ceramic getting in to the motor. *shrug*

The last year before they sold the company was a "band-aid the problem and put it back on the road" kind of situation. I'm talking stuff like a head was leaking between itself and the block to the outside. Like coolant would come out as you watched. The owners said, and this is no lie, said, "Just cover it in silicone and put it back on the road." My shop manager at the time put his foot down and said no. Either we fix it right, or you can take it back down to Oregon and do with it what you wish.

The Oregon terminal sent us a spare truck for a driver and told us it was good to go, no issues. We had to tow it off of the trailer. The dpf was so restricted that it caused an overload of backpressure and blew both turbos (c15 acert with the compound turbos). The primary turbo threw turbine blades thru the charge air cooler and destroyed it. Water pump was leaking, or would have been except they used jb weld to fill the weep hole. The dpf was backed up because their version of aftertreatment maintenance was to pull the dpf out and blow it out with air and then re install it.

My company bought them and immediately had to do full in-frames on 3 trucks with 2 of those having to have the heads replaced. I had left the previous company before the buyout and then got hired on with the new company about a year and a half after the buyout. I'm still finding stuff that is holdovers from then.

As a company in Oregon and Washington, we can't have a de-mandated vehicle in our fleet. Last I checked, if we have even just ONE de-mandated truck, we get fined something like 10k per truck in the fleet. Not just the one, all of them.
replyreply
(03-04-2022 )ahrenbenjudah Wrote:  ...
serious neglect

bought out a company and adopted all of the old equipment

"band-aid the problem and put it back on the road" kind of situation

That is what is known as "jumping over a dollar to save a dime". type of business Strategy. -- IT NEVER LEADS TO A GOOD PLACE AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS FAILS IN TRUCKING!.... PERIOD!.

Hence why I will tend to run people like that off of this forum real fast. It has no place in making actual moneys and being successful...
therefore people with that type of mindset cannot be helped.. but will argue away everything that makes sense instead. it is far better to put more focus on people who like to share proper information than to have everything said diluted with bad ideas.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-04-2022 )stevegrutz Wrote:  When you say every injector was leaking except #6, does that mean when you capped number 6 the leakage went under the 200ml with just that one capped?

Nah. When you do the isolation test, you cap off all of the injectors except for one. I started with number 6 being connected to the rail. Then went down the line. Insite gives two ways to do it, if it will run, and if it won't run. My truck definitely won't run on just 1 cylinder so I did the "won't run" test. The "won't run test" is crank until you get a stream, then move the hose in to a graduated cylinder for 15 seconds. Do this twice and take a measurement. Well, #6 barely had 3 drips come out and after cranking, the fuel pressure in the rail maintained pressure for over 5 minutes and still had only deteriorated by about 25%.

Every other injector would give me a stream while cranking and immediately after done cranking, the rail would drop pressure almost instantaneously. #1 and #3 dropped slower than the 2, 4, 5 but they still dropped to nothing within a minute.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: stevegrutz
(03-04-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-04-2022 )ahrenbenjudah Wrote:  ...
serious neglect

bought out a company and adopted all of the old equipment

"band-aid the problem and put it back on the road" kind of situation

That is what is known as "jumping over a dollar to save a dime". type of business Strategy. -- IT NEVER LEADS TO A GOOD PLACE AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS FAILS IN TRUCKING!.... PERIOD!.

Hence why I will tend to run people like that off of this forum real fast. It has no place in making actual moneys and being successful...
therefore people with that type of mindset cannot be helped.. but will argue away everything that makes sense instead. it is far better to put more focus on people who like to share proper information than to have everything said diluted with bad ideas.

I agree Rawze! Luckily, my new company is all about fixing stuff the right way. Unfortunately, when my company bought out the old, the old owner went in and deleted ALL of the service and repair history for the entire fleet, including trailer, from the computer tracking program that they used. The old program was called Anzio and we hated it as mechanics because it was a crappy program that was difficult to navigate. But now? I would KILL to have it so that I can see what all was done to these trucks. I still remember some of the stuff that I did to them when I was with the old company, but like I said, we were forced to band-aid stuff back together as opposed to do it right.

Now we're doing it right but its tough sometimes because we'll get one of the older trucks that don't get used to much roll through and I'll catch stuff that I don't understand how come nobody has caught. Just on monday, we had a truck down on a job site with a bad air can. Couldn't build enough air to move the truck and chassis. Driver had no tools on him and none of the brakes had caging bolts on them either. So I went down there to get him rolling and within 15 seconds of stepping out of my shop rig, I noticed that the rear axle had a regular stroke can on one side and a long stroke can on the other. While this isn't the end of the world and the brakes probably still worked just fine, on a level 3 inspection (if the inspector saw it) it would have been red tagged for having mismatched brakes. On top of that, he had no left blinker or tail on the trailer either. I called down to Oregon to speak to the dispatcher down there and he said, "just send it, he'll be fine."

Drive from Seattle to Oregon with no tail light or left blinker on the trailer...I said no. There's no way I'm going to put my name on a job where that is allowed to happen. So since I only went out to fix a brake, I didn't have my electrical kit on hand. I ran next door to the job site to Platt electric, bought a multi-meter, wire crimp/strippers, and a box of connectors and ran back over. Turned out it was just the light itself and not wiring so I grabbed one off of the truck and slapped it in there so it would be less conspicuous and told him to get going. Called the Oregon shop manager and told him, brakes need to be corrected and replace the light on the truck.

I just shook my head and drove home soaked to the bone. Its tough out here sometimes Rawze, I tell you what.
replyreply
03-07-2022, (Subject: 2012 Isx 2350 475 with codes 4726 and 0559 ) 
Ok. I’m about to just set the truck on fire. I stayed until 1030 Friday night. Got new injectors installed, everything else wrapped up. Everything torques to spec etc.

Then the ecm wouldn’t accept the fuel trim codes. Not any of them. I called it a night. Came back in this morning, pulled everything back apart to assure that I had the correct numbers down. Resituated the injectors and the connectors to make sure they were installed as required. Everything torqued back to spec, and the ecm took the codes this time. (While reinstalling the injector harness, I had a stud break on a solenoid. That’s awesome). Anyways. Replaced that. Everything back together. Ecm has codes now. I turned the key on to check fuel pressure in the rail:

Nothing. Same thing as before. Pressure jumps around from -40psi to about 10 psi. Regardless if the lift pump is running or not. I haven’t done any further tests. I’m pi$$ed off and frustrated.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.