870 isx replacing a 871isx.
01-31-2022, (Subject: 870 isx replacing a 871isx. ) 
870 isx replacing a 871isx.
i have replaced a blown 2009 isx871 in a pete for a 2003 870 isx out of a volvo. everything bolts up great now how do i deal with the computer? with the wiring harness in the pete hooked up the engine will start and idle. i changed the tps to a 2003 pete that would have a 870 isx. as the two engines are completely different do i need to replace the harness from the engine to the cab? would the 871 computer be a better choice on the 870 if that can even be done?i do have a guy coming to plug into the computer but was hoping to have most of the preliminary work done. were do i start? i have the harness out of the volvo that plugs into the 870 computer and goes to the fire wall. kind of a head scratcher for us old guys but cant be that tough to straighten out. the 50 pin plug for the volvo uses about 11 pins, the pete uses about 30.thanks in advance for any and every bit of help.
replyreply
RE: 870 isx replacing a 871isx.
no need to over-complicate it.

put the original CM871 ecm, wiring harness + IMAP, manifolds, and other hardware and sensors on it .. including putting the CM871's far superior, electronic VGT turbo on it too. Then have a custom program made to run it. Do not let anyone that is not recommended directly from this forum to make the program. You will end up with only half-arssed garbage that just destroys the engine (or the turbo) and you will regret it.

that is what i would do if in that situation any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
great thanks for the info. will reinstall the original 2009 pete TPS,replace the original electronic VGR turbo and use the 871 ecm. at least i have a starting point.i think using the original wiring harness in the pete is a good idea. hopefully the computer guy can expand on this base line.
replyreply
02-01-2022, (Subject: 870 isx replacing a 871isx. ) 
(01-31-2022 )herschel Wrote:  great thanks for the info. will reinstall the original 2009 pete TPS,replace the original electronic VGR turbo and use the 871 ecm. at least i have a starting point.i think using the original wiring harness in the pete is a good idea. hopefully the computer guy can expand on this base line.

you will want to get forum member 'running rough' to make a program for it. - He's done those conversions to his own equipment a few times... and knows how to program the ecm properly, where it will not kill the engine due to the typical bad de-mandate garbage we see every day around here.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
ok first problem the 60 pin connector on the engine harness will not plug into the 871 computer. the V shaped plastic pin is a quarter of a turn different than the 870 ecm. now does this mean that i should try to change the complete engine harness to the 871 style or is the volvo engine harness the problem and i need a pete 870 engine harness? going to be alot of stupid questions on my part sorry!
replyreply
You'll want to reuse the 871 wire harness, along with the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, egr cooler, etc. Just swapping the long block in basically. Also, you'll want to make note of the CPL of the 870 vs your old 871 and check quickserve to see if there's different injectors, injector cam and pistons to find if your old cal is compatible.
replyreply
is there any way that i can possibly make this non egr 870 with a non electric turbo run in this 2009 pete without reusing all the 871 components. the 871 was deleted, egr capped,dpf gutted or have we ventured into a non repairable problem? seemed simple at the time just swap an isx out for another isx. how would you swap in a cat engine? do not want to add all the 871 crap to this block but if thats the only way i guess it can be done.
replyreply
I don't know a lot about how the 870's relay data to your CECU and gauges. I'm guessing, but I don't know how well that could be ironed out without a mess in your cab - I don't think the cabs had CECU's before '07 or the engine data didn't go through them? Maybe someone else can chime in here.

To use your 871 ECM, it need the exhaust pressure sensor (on thermostat housing - from exhaust manifold). To use the exhaust manifold, there's end caps without the EGR cooler bellow on ebay, but I think the 870 has a different turbo flange anyway, you'll need to use the center and rear section off your 871. As for the intake manifold, the 871 needs IMAP sensor - the 870 used separate temp and pressure sensors that screwed in, so you'll need the 871 intake manifold too...

Once you deviate from what left the factory, there's always catch 22's but anything can be done with enough time and money. I know that's probably not what you were hoping, that swapping in the running 870 would save you some of both, but I'm afraid that's usually not the case.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
dam wish i had all this info when i had the engines sitting side by side on the shop floor doing the rods and mains. will i be able to use the 870 head and just swap all the 871 equipment over to it? seems a shame to take such a good running 565hp. and start ripping basic components off and replacing with troublesome electronic crap but it is what it is.will stand and look at it for a few days before i tear into it. maybe somebody will have an easier fix.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.