Surge Tank Coolant Level Issue
01-31-2022, (Subject: Surge Tank Coolant Level Issue ) 
Surge Tank Coolant Level Issue
Truck: 2014 Pete 388 ISX15

Yesterday in central OK panhandle I got a CEL and low coolant level fault. I immediately looked to my temp gauge it’s reading 180, odd. I pull over open the hood, surge tank full, no leaking coolant anywhere and can’t smell any. I closed everything up and drove on to Lamar CO. The only thing I managed to do was to jump the connector and that got rid of the immediate fault and alarm. Drove on to Colorado Springs and back to Amarillo stopping a couple times to check everything, all okay. Stopped at peterbilt in Dalhart bought a new level sensor. Get to Amarillo install new sensor and code comes back on. I pulled the connector fault goes off, without jumper. Pulled sensor plugged in the connector, no CEL this time but low coolant alarm only comes on. Plug sensor into surge tank and I get CEL and low level alarm.

The old sensor was goodly covered in white powder residue, obviously dried coolant, should be clean shouldnt it? I blew air up inside to clean it out, still same codes.

I don’t think my wiring is the issue simply because it gives me the correct alarm and or with CEL depending upon sensor location.

Now I wonder, perhaps its the floating ball inside the surge tank itself, which means replacing the surge tank?

Thoughts?
replyreply
01-31-2022, (Subject: Surge Tank Coolant Level Issue ) 
RE: Surge Tank Coolant Level Issue
I do know from past experience that the floats in these surge tanks like to get stuck. kinda luck of the draw for when it will happen. If the sensor is good, the float is usually the issue. I've never seen a way to replace it without replacing the actual surge tank itself.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , tree98
02-01-2022, (Subject: Surge Tank Coolant Level Issue ) 
In my case it was improper connector/sensor pins mating inside the plug. Pushed wires inside the plug after connection was the magic fix.
Don't drive with unplugged sensor or ignore Low coolant light. Twice out of hundreds it was real.
replyreply
I don’t believe that it’s a situation with improper pins connector wires because it was working just fine and then it wasn’t and two separate sensors give me the exact same codes.

Everything was fine until 2 weeks ago I have a hose rupture drained all but a gal or so of coolant out by the time i got it shut down. Replaced the hose filled coolant back and everything was fine until day before yesterday. When i pulled to old sensor it was covered in a white powdery coolant. I thought that was odd. Should be clean as best as I can figure.
replyreply
couldn't someone put a magnet up against the sensor and see if it goes inactive?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.