3712 and 3714, truck is eating my lunch
02-02-2022, (Subject: 3712 and 3714, truck is eating my lunch ) 
3712 and 3714, truck is eating my lunch
Big apology if I missed it, but I have searched before posting a new topic. Have a International DuraStar 4300. Cummins 6.7 ISB CM2350 B101 serial #73779980. Low mileage 70k

Truck Was derated to 5 mph because the DEF heater failed,and froze.Found the relay box above tank was full of corrosion and spread terminals, blue fuzz,etc. Replaced the Dosing pump and Harness/relay box from DEF tank to back of cylinder head, and and a new doser valve since it was original . DEF heater wouldn't heat up before repair, now it passes tests and original codes are repaired, but no matter how i try I cannot clear the 3712/3714 codes. Ran a manual regen with Insite. went into Advanced ECM Data and reset the aftertreatment log after reading that could be part of my problem. No dice.

When i try to run the SCR system test, it starts and aborts instantly with a " let exhaust cool down " window. Even on a cold engine. i also read somewhere that an ecm calibration will fix this issue. I have MR-HD PLUS PRO and MR-HD Plus Basic active licenses, but under service tab and related information I dont have the calibration option? Do I Need a different subscription?

I figured I was on my way when i repaired the BASE codes that resulted in the derate, only to find myself getting crushed. I am very new to Insite, and I am sure contributing to my mess. Any advice for a guy that is trying to learn this software? Have an open help request to cummins for info on subscription needed to update calibrations.

If anyone has run into the cool down pop up window on SCR TEST, that may be helpful as I understand if the truck passes the SCR test, the 3712/3714 will go INACTIVE? Then i could clear them. getting beat up over here . Thanks in advance!
replyreply
RE: 3712 and 3714, truck is eating my lunch
reflash the ecm if no update is avaliable just download the same file thats in it and reflash it.
leaving the key on for 2 hours will work to so my snap on guy says (he didnt want to pay me to flash his lol)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BreakOnThrough
fault 3712 = "The Engine Control Module (ECM) detected the engine has been operated for an extended amount of time with critical SCR faults active, and no repair action has been taken."

and...

fault 3714 = "General Engine Protection derate is active"

==============

Obviously someone was driving that thing around and not servicing it properly to get it into that condition to begin with.. and now its in dire straights!.

What other faults does it have?... what inactive and active faults were seen?.. and how many counts?.

re-loading the ecm with a fresh factory flash will remove those faults .. but if you don't also take care of any of the other faults that are inactive or active, that caused them to come up .. .. then they will simply come right back.

You say the engine only has 70k miles on it but its build date waas 8+ years ago!... Does it have high engine hours?.. or has it sat a lot and now has a bad case of "LotRott"... becvause low miles don't mean squat if it has not been regularly serviced and cared for.. and that is exactly why they end up with those emmissions system issues to begin with. After 8+ years, that DOC/DPf and SCR elements, the DEF and Doser injectors could be plugged up,.. and all sorts of other secondary problems may exist.. like carbon-packed EGR cooler, partially siezed EGR valve,,.. etc. etc. etc.

Someone needs to go tru that whole engine and emissions systems at this point.. - DO a full EGR tune-up, replace the IMAP and other old sensors,.. clean out all the EGR (and EGR cooler and valve likely by this point) and other piping, etc.. otherwise your wasting your time on it. - Replace DEf filter, clean the DEF doser, inspect the Decomp tube for buildup, .. Have the DOC/DPF baked and flow-tested and a whole lot more.

If ya can't flash the ecm yourself.. then you can always just remove it from the engine and take it to a Stealers$it and have it bench flashed with the latest updates.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BreakOnThrough , hhow55
hey folks. Thanks a bunch for listening. So it's a landscape truck with a 16 foot dump bed that typically stays within 50 miles of shop. some history. It's had a SCR update( campaign 2119 ). It's also had an EGR tune thanks to the advice I read here last year. No kidding. Fairly new EGR and port cleaned ( from memory ) but its in my history.

I did find out that i Have a free version of Quickserve. Limited Owner. My next question is , will the 200 for one month give me access to calibrations?

I have no active codes after replacing doser unit / harness outside of the 3712 and 3714.

That portion of job went well. Dosing unit heater test failed initially. now it raises temp properly and the original codes are not returning.

4251-dosing unit heater abnormal rate of change-ACTIVE
4169-def dosing heating circuit voltage below normal-ACTIVE
3714-torque derate-ACTIVE
3712-aftertreatment scr operator inducement-data valid but above normal range-ACTIVE
3258-aftertreatment 1 def line heater 1 circuit-current below normal or open (inactive)
5278-aftertreatment 1 def dosing system frozen(inactive)

In that order. Before repairs.

After the repairs just 3714 and 3712 active. The relay box was one big mess of corrosion. it came as a full harness with all the relays and fuses for DEF system.including the heater lines fuse/ supply module heater / ignition fuse and the 5 relays

backflow/pressure/suction/supply module and ignition

I now can listen to the def pump suction the lines at key off etc. Heater test passes. None of this was working prior to repair.

Then this truck will regen just fine from my experience data wise. The SCR self test aborts instantly and pops up a " cool down exhaust " window ????

I guess at this point, I want to run the latest calibration? I didn't realize i had a limited license. Will the 200 dollar month subscription get me that access?

Thanks for your direction, appreciate it
replyreply
oh and yeah. Driver pulls in lot with a full trailer, audible alarms, message on cluster saying shut down engine and a 5 mph derate. Says i got no power!!! lol
replyreply
I installed the latest calibration after purchasing the unlimited owner subscription. I just always thought I had the correct version this entire last year. Once i bought the subscription, the latest calibration cleared the codes for good. test drove, no current codes. guess I will find in good time where it stands, but for tonight...victory.

Appreciate the help!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.