New Owner Op, New to ISX
02-02-2022, (Subject: New Owner Op, New to ISX ) 
New Owner Op, New to ISX
Hello all, Been wrenching and building stuff over the years. Going to be a learning curve, but looking forward to it.
Was hoping to get some general questions answered/ feedback. Just Started over the new year running an 1.2Mil Mile (no eng History) 06 Volvo 670- ISX 13SPD. Door tag says ISX ST2 400HP&2000 (s#79145599). Looks like it used to be 9Spd. Has 3.55 Gears and 295/75/22.5
Ive been cruising through some of the threads and getting things organized.

1) One challenge is the fact that the Sticker on the Valve cover is gone. Will I be able to get the CPL# when I get the Inline 6/ Insite?

2) Just before purchase the Front Timing cover and oil pan were resealed, New air compressor, New VGT Turbo. Will be installing a Boost/EGT gauge to verify what its at but looks low on the "Volvo Gauge". Do these Pneumatic VGT turbos need any calibration for boost levels?

3) One of the threads mentioned driving habit's. Im at 1500 RPM @ 65MPH top of 13th. It said to avoid lugging the engine due to the chance of a sleeve dropping? Seems happy at the 1400-1700 range. Still ok to cruise at a lower RPM as long as not under hard load?

4) General input on this engine? Im thinking Ill be in a better spot after verifying boost, EGR tune up and maybe have the overhead adjusted? is it 400hp 2000ft-tq? aka smart torque

I think Im operating around 7MPG. Will have more data soon. Thanks for input.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
02-03-2022, (Subject: New Owner Op, New to ISX ) 
RE: New Owner Op, New to ISX
http://rawze.com/book/The%20First%20Time...0Guide.pdf

This book is a great place to start.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kbarnes0
With 1.2 million miles on it.. and no difinitive history that the rod/main bearings were done at 800k like they should have been.. your driving a ticking time bomb!. - If no one did the rod/main bearings at 800k mile mark then your pushing your luck with it at this point.. It ihas a very high chance that it is ready to send a piston thru the block with ZERO warning.. and it is now in need of an inframe.. and that is also likely why it got sold to begin with. Someone probably knew this.

ITS READY FOR AN INFRAME!... AND DRIVING IT AROUND IN AN UNKNOWN CONDITION == DISASTER WAITING TO DESTROY THE WHOLE ENGINE WITH ZERO WARNING!. -

I hope you purchased it real cheap and have the money to inframe it .. like RIGHT NOW ... is what I am saying. If not, then you need to park it and go find a job to save up your moneys and then go get it done the way that we recommend on here, to actually extend its life...
described here: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid67840

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Understood. Thank you. I would have liked to pick it up cheaper, ($23K) but the market seems to be up with the demand. My thought was to pick up another parts truck and rebuild that 870 , and Fresh gearbox. have it ready to go. Or grab another truck if this one lets go. I think ill gear up to do the inframe and run the risk for now. I think that will be better to do than just bearings.

is there a preferred brand kit?

I'll read through your book. Also, I clicked the link you provided and it says not permitted?

(02-03-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  With 1.2 million miles on it.. and no difinitive history that the rod/main bearings were done at 800k like they should have been.. your driving a ticking time bomb!. - If no one did the rod/main bearings at 800k mile mark then your pushing your luck with it at this point.. It ihas a very high chance that it is ready to send a piston thru the block with ZERO warning.. and it is now in need of an inframe.. and that is also likely why it got sold to begin with. Someone probably knew this.

ITS READY FOR AN INFRAME!... AND DRIVING IT AROUND IN AN UNKNOWN CONDITION == DISASTER WAITING TO DESTROY THE WHOLE ENGINE WITH ZERO WARNING!. -

I hope you purchased it real cheap and have the money to inframe it .. like RIGHT NOW ... is what I am saying. If not, then you need to park it and go find a job to save up your moneys and then go get it done the way that we recommend on here, to actually extend its life...
described here: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid67840
replyreply
(02-03-2022 )Kbarnes0 Wrote:  ... I clicked the link you provided and it says not permitted?

as far as parts.. OEM ONLY! on the internals and NEW head, not a reman.

- as far as the link.. you have to post a couple times to get to the members only area. It should work for you now.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.