Western Star DD15 To Cummins
02-04-2022, (Subject: Western Star DD15 To Cummins ) 
Western Star DD15 To Cummins
I like to take on challenges and learn new things but I got myself in a little deep now, helping a friend who bought a 2009 western star dd15 with a scored cylinder. He decided to replace it with a 2006 cm870 ISX my part in the project is to get all the electrical figured it out. I have diagrams from the Detroit engine side and the Cummins and connected the wires into the cab plug according to the diagrams. My question are on the can bus communication, how do I confirm if the Detroit used j1587 protocol or j1939? There are both in the plug labeled as a spare with resistors in the end, then there is a third one that went to the Detroit but the diagrams don't say what protocol they are.

Also for the multiplexing on the Cummins side is that only possible through j1939? The truck has no throttle position wires to the engine so I assume this would mean that's done on the can
bus

Another problem, I am not able to get a connection to the engine through the truck diagnostic plug but can connect to the truck side.

I'm thinking there has to someone with some experience in this work that is thinking how easy it is....
replyreply
02-04-2022, (Subject: Western Star DD15 To Cummins ) 
RE: Western Star DD15 To Cummins
Some Cm870's were J1708/1587 into the cab of the truck,.. not J1939.

A 2009 truck is going to be all J1939.

that is a big problem right there all on its own.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
02-08-2022, (Subject: Western Star DD15 To Cummins ) 
So I connected the Cummins j1587 wires into the spare 1587 spot in the cab plug instead of where are the Detroit can wires connected and was able to make a connection through the diagnostic port. On the Cummins engine I have both j1587 and j1939 according to the diagram also the donor harness I'm working with has both of them in the harness. In Cummins Insite I can only find j1939 multiplexing, is that the only multiplexing option for this engine? It appears like the truck broadcast multiplexing signal on j1587, would that mean I need a can converter box or can the ECM be set up for 1587 multiplexing? So far I haven't gotten any communication from the engine through the truck or diagnostic port on the j1939 can
replyreply
02-09-2022, (Subject: Western Star DD15 To Cummins ) 
I've seen this one CANBUS converter used https://c-a-i.net/gliderlink on a FB page used to install an N14 into a 2012 Volvo using the OEM hardware, cluster, gauges, and switches on the truck side using the J1939 protocol. It definitely can be done..
replyreply
As far as I know DD15 engines have a second ecm located under the dash that communicates to the ecm on the engine through can bus so things like the throttle pedal will need to be wired from the pedal to the cummins ecm directly
replyreply
(02-09-2022 )ntadiesel Wrote:  As far as I know DD15 engines have a second ecm located under the dash that communicates to the ecm on the engine through can bus so things like the throttle pedal will need to be wired from the pedal to the cummins ecm directly

From what I understand you are correct and on an EPA 07 DD15 the engine to cab can would be 1587. Also if I understand correctly that Cummins will only receive multiplexing command over j1939, like you said we could hardwire everything to the Cummins ECM but I also believe we could use a can converter box like was suggested earlier which is the direction I'm leaning now so we can leave all the cab wiring original. Also on the cab controller we are getting a fault code because it doesn't get any feedback from the Detroit ecm and I was unable to find a parameter to turn that off in diagnostic link
replyreply
02-14-2022, (Subject: Western Star DD15 To Cummins ) 
Can someone clarify if a CM870 can receive multiplexing over J1587/1708? I only see j1939 in Insite but could J1587/1708 be set up with calterm??

Engine ser# is 79227629
replyreply
03-22-2022, (Subject: Western Star DD15 To Cummins ) 
So we ended up hardwiring the engine controls and everything is working, however I have 2 problems, 1 we do not need the engine to monitor coolant level because the truck does and the engine ecm parameters for coolant sensor are locked in Insite so we constantly have a fault code for low coolant.
2 the road speed governor is also enabled and locked and the owner wants It disabled because it doesn't let him get a run for hills. I believe both of these could be unlocked in calterm but when I opened the file I didn't know which parameters needed change so hoping someone else can help me out

Engine is a CM870. SER# 79227629
replyreply
03-22-2022, (Subject: Western Star DD15 To Cummins ) 
Go on Mumble and see what you might find out!!

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=53

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.