ELD connection question
02-10-2022, (Subject: ELD connection question ) 
ELD connection question
Hello all, 2012 Volvo CM2250 860K. I am getting ready to hook up a new ELD. The cable it was sent with connects with a Y behind the 9 pin data port to supply power, ground, and J1939 data. I am trying to decide whether to plug it in like that or chop of the end and hardwire it in as I have always done in the past.

I have never had anything plugged in behind the data port, but I thought I remembered some on here saying it causes problems when you plug it in there.

What kinds of problems do you experience?? Diagnostic trouble?? Performance trouble?? Programming trouble?? Whats the scoop???

Thanks I’m advance! Oh the ELD in question is a Qualcomm IVG.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: ELD connection question
Don't hard wire it. easier just unplug it, but you may need a Spyder cable that connects to the 2pin J1939 near the fuse panel with an extra plug for the terminating resistor or equivalent for qualcomm.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
My quallcomm unit is hard wired into the J1939 like you describe (installed by the carrier that I am leased onto). Whenever I want to eliminate it from the datalink, I just unplug the cable at the qualcomm unit itself.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Thanks guys! What kind of problems have you experienced if the unit is still connected when you do diagnostics or programming?

So if I plug it in behind the 9 pin and just unplug it at the unit before diagnostics I should be ok…

Marek4792: I left the resistor on the J1939 leg when I previously hardwired in the past units, I just stripped a small section before it and soldered the data wires in.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
02-18-2022, (Subject: ELD connection question ) 
I use a Y splitter cable but I had intial connectivity and value errors with the ELD and other glitchy problems. I found that the pins in the plug ends of the Y cable weren't seated fully. I had to pull the weather packing out of all 3 ends and fully seat all the pins. Other than that I've had zero problems using a Y splitter. Plus it's easier to revert back to factory or isolate the truck from the ELD for quick diagnostics
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
02-18-2022, (Subject: ELD connection question ) 
I've had some issues, especially with paccar engines, with programming while an ELD was plugged in. Issues as in the file wouldn't write or fail to write during the download. I haven't had that issue as much on other engines. If I'm having issues with a flash I unplug them. I've never experienced any issues with diagnostics. However, I would not hard wire it in.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.