2018 HX International aftertreatment
02-17-2022, (Subject: 2018 HX International aftertreatment ) 
2018 HX International aftertreatment
Hello I am working on a 2018 HX international with a X15 cummins engine. The truck came in barely running would die within a minute or so of idling. White/clear smoke was coming out of the stacks. I disconnected the turbo down pipe and the truck ran fine afterwards like it was able to breath. Found the DPF to be plugged up bad causing the truck to die, baked/puffed the DOC and DPF and noticed that the DPF was still plugged even after cleaning. Replaced dpf and reinstalled with the doc, new gaskets and clamps. I made sure the gaskets were properly sealed as well. After starting the truck and revving I hear and see a loud exhaust leak coming from the dpf and doc clamps area. A lead tech advised that it could possibly be the scr that is also plugged up/damaged causing the exhaust leaks from the clamps area. Anyone ever come across this or think it's possible that the scr would cause this issue?

Also found the main reason for the plugged aftertreament system was caused by someone installing the wrong type of clamps on the cac to turbo pipe causing boost leak/soot problem.
replyreply
RE: 2018 HX International aftertreatment
when I read your post, the first and biggest concern was "how" was the DOC/DPF cleaned?

NEXT: did anyone bother to check the decomp tube for the infamous "Volcano" problem?...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

Has anyone looked inside the SCR when it was apart to see if it was face-plugged?.. or was dirty?

Answering all 3 of these questions would likely help.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(02-17-2022 )Barbz18 Wrote:  ...
Also found the main reason for the plugged aftertreament system was caused by someone installing the wrong type of clamps on the cac to turbo pipe causing boost leak/soot problem.

also.. a loose boot may/can contribute to excess soot.. but it is far more important to also clean out the EGR piping, components, etc. or soot-covered sensor. - it is called an "EGR-Tune-up".. and if this is not also done.. then all the DPF the problems will come right back.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...122#pid122

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I would also check sensor values in insite. Especially after it's been out and re-installed. DPF tubes/bungs can break or tear and will give you bad readings. Also, check the other sensors to make sure the temperatures read correctly. It is a basic thing to do but can save you a lot of money.

Like rawze mentioned, when someone inspected the filters what did they find?? cracks, soot, def build-up?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hookliftpete
02-18-2022, (Subject: 2018 HX International aftertreatment ) 
[quote='MommaBurt' pid='70239' dateline='1645142214']
I apologize to the OP for busting in off topic but Mommaburt being back is good to see. Welcome back buddy.

Anyone that doesn't know rest assured he's one of the good guys
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , MommaBurt
02-18-2022, (Subject: 2018 HX International aftertreatment ) 
***peaks out from shadows***
is it safe? :P

I'm going to try to be around more. hopefully being helpful.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Chamberpains , Rawze , Daved91709 , Hermjeji

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.