The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump...
08-26-2016, (Subject: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump... ) 
The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump...
Driving down the road, steering is feeling heavy... Then it springs back to life... The more I drive, the heavier she feels, to the point of remembering the old days of Armstrong Steering and that four foot steering wheel in the cab over...

I checked the fluid, looks a bit burnt, but full... No leaks, system just serviced at in frame, but I did not replace the pump... How difficult is this to replace? Anything I need to know on these steering pumps, CM 871 2008... I have the new pump on order, along with new lines and the gasket and filter. Anything that needs to be aligned with the compressor or is it a pretty straight forward job? The dealer has the torque specs so I am good there...

Any help would be appreciated...

Also the alternator is toast, spiking all over the place... New one is $500, not reman like the one I have on there that just ran out of warranty, imagine that? It is in stock, and yes I checked on the proper voltage, replacing that too when the pump comes in.

Like I said, the hits just keep coming...

Wife not happy... Me not happy, but what the hell is a guy supposed to do? A new truck is out of the question, I am not going to be beholden to a truck payment of several thousands of dollars a month like a slave. We shall work through this, hopefully I will still have a place to call home...

Thank God freight is running...
replyreply
RE: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump...
Could it be the filter in the reservoir plugging up?
replyreply
(08-26-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Could it be the filter in the reservoir plugging up?

I will know tomorrow when I tear into it... All of that was just replaced, but the pump has 900,000 miles on it, so I am suspecting the pump.
replyreply
do you have the aluminum housing pump? If so it may be bad due to starving of oil cause of a clogged filter. Id try flushing it out and change filter and put engine oil in.
replyreply
(08-26-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  do you have the aluminum housing pump? If so it may be bad due to starving of oil cause of a clogged filter. Id try flushing it out and change filter and put engine oil in.

That I do not know, how can you tell if it is aluminum? The filter and fluid are new as of a few months ago, but the fluid looks slightly burnt to me, very dull and sooty looking, but yet up to level. Fill me in.
replyreply
You could scratch the pump housing with a nail or awl or even a screwdriver. It'll be soft. The cast pump isn't scratch able.

Ps. Mine is obviously aluminum as its not painted and is showing the grey oxidation aluminum gets as it ages.
replyreply
(08-26-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  You could scratch the pump housing with a nail or awl or even a screwdriver. It'll be soft. The cast pump isn't scratch able.

Will do, have paint ordered with the new pump and lines... Honestly, I would just assume to replace the pump and be done with it... I know my luck... There are guys on here calling themselves Waterloo Jr that are having the same luck with their trucks... And my luck sucks right now. No, my luck sucks since I bought this particular truck... I need a Voodoo priestess, the Christian blessing did not work... Some chicken bones and newt claw are in order... ;-)
replyreply
I'd check the steering box also. Make sure that it is centered with the wheels pointed dead ahead. If not the pumps working all the time fighting you.
replyreply
Waterloo, do you ever feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train barreling at you?

Sorry. Couldn't help it but damn that made me laugh.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.