The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump...
08-26-2016, (Subject: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump... ) 
RE: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump...
(08-26-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Waterloo, do you ever feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train barreling at you?

Sorry. Couldn't help it but damn that made me laugh.

Yes, I do... Never used to, but then I bought this truck... ;-)
replyreply
08-26-2016, (Subject: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump... ) 
I just spoke to my buddy Pat, we lived and worked together in the oil fields in ND and MT... We drove junk, mine was a 1997 Freightliner, million + miles on her, his was not much better... We drove those trucks for two years solid, mine was down once, a pinion seal, I never lost any work, it was fixed that day... Old Detroit Series 60, 15 speed and mice living in the sleeper... The electrical wiring was so bad, the headlights barely worked, and I worked nights... But the damn truck ran, and that is all I cared about. This ProStar... Can't get a solid month out of her, after dumping $40,000 rebuilding the thing... Like I said, I have the CAC and air dryer left to replace... Now I am thinking I should just take it to the dealer and let them do it all and get the warranty... We have a good relationship, they have been very good to me, and yes, I have run the numbers.

Oh, we had 5 new DPF/SCR trucks, they never ran, Freightliners with DD13 motors... If you could get a solid weeks work out of them, you were lucky... Winter, the SCR DEF would freeze solid... They sat, would fix, and then return not fixed... We had to send these to Fargo ND from Montana... No one has a clue on these trucks in these dealerships. Trust me on that.
replyreply
08-27-2016, (Subject: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump... ) 
Hey waterloo, sorry to hear about all the trouble your having.
Those are pretty easy fixes your talking about. Save your money because that warranty will mostly only cover labor anyways for 1 year.
I mean parts are 1 year weather you do it or them, eather way.
If I were around your way, I would help you for sure.
When you do that cac, get the bushing kit as well, and look at your radiator bushings too. If you have vibration in eather one, that will cause premature failure. Good luck friend.
replyreply
Just another day in trucking. You can do the air drier yourself, maybe just change the purge valve, it's about $80 . When was the last time you changed the cartridge?

PS pump is easy, might change the lines while you're at it.
A least it's not 20 degrees out side and snowing!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(08-27-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Just another day in trucking. You can do the air drier yourself, maybe just change the purge valve, it's about $80 . When was the last time you changed the cartridge?

PS pump is easy, might change the lines while you're at it.
A least it's not 20 degrees out side and snowing!

Yes on the weather! The cartridge is in need of a change, need a new one for winter... And, the air dryer is working fine, thank God... And knock on wood. And yes, I ordered new lines with the power steering pump, and the gasket, new filter and Cummins red paint. I'll go out there today and start tearing it apart, and hopefully all will go well, as it all looks pretty straight forward.
replyreply
(08-27-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  Hey waterloo, sorry to hear about all the trouble your having.
Those are pretty easy fixes your talking about. Save your money because that warranty will mostly only cover labor anyways for 1 year.
I mean parts are 1 year weather you do it or them, eather way.
If I were around your way, I would help you for sure.
When you do that cac, get the bushing kit as well, and look at your radiator bushings too. If you have vibration in eather one, that will cause premature failure. Good luck friend.

I hear ya, that was the beer and frustration talking... I'll go dig into her today, get her apart and ready. None of it looks that difficult, a case of beer and a pack of Camels should get her done... ;-)
replyreply
(08-26-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  That I do not know, how can you tell if it is aluminum? The filter and fluid are new as of a few months ago, but the fluid looks slightly burnt to me, very dull and sooty looking, but yet up to level. Fill me in.

What kind of fluid did you put in? -- I hope it was Dextron-III transmission fluid, ... anything less and it has a shortened lifespan.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Just changed the air governor on my AD-IS air dryer yesterday. Boy what a difference. Had no idea air in a truck pumps up to 130 psi. The rubber seals were so worn they almost nonexistent.
I change the cartridge once and the interior seals came apart inside the cartridge. That wrecked havoc thru my entire air system letting lots of water in. I was at a point of replacing the air dryer until I found it was a faulty desiccant cartridge.
It was an armada cartridge. I thought if it's expensive it must be great, right?
replyreply
(08-27-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-26-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  That I do not know, how can you tell if it is aluminum? The filter and fluid are new as of a few months ago, but the fluid looks slightly burnt to me, very dull and sooty looking, but yet up to level. Fill me in.

What kind of fluid did you put in? -- I hope it was Dextron-III transmission fluid, ... anything less and it has a shortened lifespan.

When the in frame was done I had them replace the fluid in the PS system along with a new filter... I asked what they use for fluid and they said power steering fluid. I have always used tranny fluid myself, and that is what I will put in with the new pump. Thanks Rawze.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.