The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump...
08-28-2016, (Subject: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump... ) 
RE: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump...
(08-28-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  Would recommend you to change dealer with PS pump. If dealer doesn't know which fluid to use I;m in deep doubt they know the procedures how to flush or torque nuts.
Not every monkey with a wrench is mechanic.

I'll do it myself... And use the correct fluid. The dealer has the procedure from the manual all printed out for me... Just another day or three or four of downtime. Who needs to make a living?
replyreply
09-10-2016, (Subject: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump... ) 
New power steering pump is installed, but it was still acting up and I thought dammit, it was not the pump! I guess there was a bit of air in the system yet, so I bled her out a few more times, jacked up the front end and greased the king pins, etc., and now she is back to normal... It was the pump...

New alternator is installed too, and working well, the truck now has the proper OEM unit installed, the Leece Neville unit that the truck came with, a NEW alternator, not a reman.

But, here we go again, when I was under the truck greasing, I found my tie rod end boots are about shot, so that is on my list of things to do, along with hangers and bushings after seeing Biscuits and Gravy's post.

My King Pins seem to be good, no issues with any abnormal tire wear, so I am assuming they are still solid. I lifted the truck, and there is no side play in the wheel/tires when I push in on them... The tie rod ends I can do in the driveway, but those hangars are frame shop territory. I bet they are close to the end of their life, and will have those swapped out before winter with greaseable units. I have to much money in those Michelins to let them go bad. I have already replaced the rear end bushings, so I am sure the front end is ready too.

I also shot some grease in the steering shaft, from the firewall to the steering box, that shaft... I found the top u-joint would not take grease, it did the last time I greased it a few weeks ago... I could replace the zerk, but that entails taking everything apart to get to the u-joint... And at that point I may as well replace the u-joint. I called the dealer and about fell over, those u-joints are $90 ea! So I asked about a new shaft, $440! I got on ebay and found a new in the box OEM shaft for $250, it will be here Monday, I will install it next weekend and be done with it.

But anyways, the truck has now run for over a week trouble free, knock on wood, rates were beyond fantastic this week along with low miles and little fuel used, still running on what I started with on Tuesday, filled her up for $343 and still running... And this coming week is looking just as good running my normal local freight... I should be in the black here in short order... Just praying no more major issues with the truck. Things have been so good, that I am actually taking a day off and having a few beers, I do not want to see a wrench in my hand this weekend!

Heading back to work Sunday, 0600 pickup Monday morning, two round trips already set up... ;-)
replyreply
09-12-2016, (Subject: The HITS Keep Coming! Power steering pump... ) 
Good to see your perseverance has paid off. Now your down to just little stuff that comes up every once awhile.

I was wondering there for awhile if you were going to name that truck Michael Jackson, or the Bee Gees or Metallica. With all the hits that truck kept producing at first.

You and I should have a Platinum or Gold record painted in a mural on the side of the sleeper.

All joking aside, I feel like I can laugh with you because I know what it's like to get snake bitten with one of these trucks and go through what you went through.

It's a great feeling when you finally have everything finished and your making money again. Congrats' Waterloo! Keep the dirty side down and the shiny side up.
replyreply
Glad to hear you got her going good now.
replyreply
Thank you gentlemen! Fingers crossed, and knocking on allot of wood... Nailed a 2x4 to my dash. ;-)
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.