Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start.
02-26-2022, (Subject: Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start. ) 
Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start.
I made a delivery last night and parked next to the receivers yard.Went to start the truck and I heard a click but it doesn’t turn over.When I do turn the key I can see the fan on the motor move the slightest bit.Voltage on Insite shows 11.6.Also when I held the key down a little while I went to look at the motor and there was some smoke coming out of the power steering line in between the power steering pump and steering box.Any help would greatly be appreciated.
replyreply
RE: Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start.
maybe a corroded out ground wire somewhere?..

what kind of truck, make/model engine, etc?.

With the headlights on, do the headlights go dim when you turn the key-switch into the cranking position?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
Typically a weak starter or solenoid will click followed by pulling down 'good' batteries substantially. Was that 11.6v reading with the key-on only? If so, that's too low to begin with. Like Rawze mentioned, check the headlamps (brightness) and the measured voltage. That would be a good start on battery health.

When is the last time they were checked or replaced?
replyreply
also, will the engine turn over by hand (using the proper wrench in the front access port) without excessive resistance?.. I.E.> to make sure it is not hydra-locked?... and if it is harder than normal, maybe remove the belts to ensure it is not a pulley or alternator locked up too?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Here’s a video of the smoke I’m talking about.And also me turning the key and the sound it makes.Could it be that the power steering pump is locking up?

https://imgur.com/a/FCVTziw
replyreply
(02-26-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  maybe a corroded out ground wire somewhere?..

what kind of truck, make/model engine, etc?.

With the headlights on, do the headlights go dim when you turn the key-switch into the cranking position?.

03’ International 9900i.04’ ISX CM870.
replyreply
Just a guess, but at 11.5v, you have a bad battery or they're just dead. Holding the key can cook your starter and melt cables. Smoke around your PS hose is probably from that - I'd check the ground cables under the fuel filter/in front of starter.
replyreply
(02-26-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  Here’s a video of the smoke I’m talking about.And also me turning the key and the sound it makes.Could it be that the power steering pump is locking up?

https://imgur.com/a/FCVTziw

a bad ground to the engine block could cause that smoking like that.

Most all hydraulic hoses have a fine wire mesh running thru the hose to prevent static electrical charge buildup due to the fluid flowing inside them, thus preventing pin-holes in the hose as they get older. - A bad/weak ground connection would make power flow thru any place it can find to get to the starter.

start by removing and cleaning all your battery terminals with some sand paper and polish them up.. and inspect/ polish up the connections to the starter while the wires are all disconnected from the batteries. Also inspect the ground connections between the frame and engine block.. and all of the the main grounds at the engine block as well.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , Nostalgic , Chamberpains
(02-26-2022 )SquareOne Wrote:  Typically a weak starter or solenoid will click followed by pulling down 'good' batteries substantially. Was that 11.6v reading with the key-on only? If so, that's too low to begin with. Like Rawze mentioned, check the headlamps (brightness) and the measured voltage. That would be a good start on battery health.

When is the last time they were checked or replaced?

That voltage was with key on.Checked the batteries about 2 months ago.

It did this to me a few months ago.And after trying the key a bunch of times it fired right up that time.So I was thinking the batteries were bad back then but ran the test when I got home that. time and they showed good.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.